- Step 1. Decide where you want to lay carpet in the kitchen
- Step 2. Make measurements
- Step 3. Decide on the form
- Step 4. We choose the material
- Step 5. Determine with color and design
- And a little about care
The kitchen is the most passable and often polluted place in the house. And if earlier you have never had a carpet or a carpet here, then for sure you doubt whether he is needed here, Is it possible to keep it clean without spending a lot of effort on it, and is this good-looking "Dust collector"? We answer - the carpet in the kitchen is needed in order to:
- Protect the floor of stone or wood from damage;
- Make a cold floor of tile or laminate more comfortable. This is especially important if there is a child in the family - the carpet will not let him slip or freeze;
- To divide the kitchen, kitchen-living room or kitchen-dining room into zones, for example, working and dining, or kitchen and recreation area;
- Visually expand, extend or vice versa - make space chamber;
- Soundproof the room;
- Make the interior stylish and cozy.
As for practicality, everything here depends on the material of the carpet. If you choose it correctly, then you will be surprised how easy it will be to care. Moreover, with a carpet the kitchen becomes even cleaner and tidier. A property of carpets to collect dust is in fact not a minus, but a plus. After all, if it is not held in the carpet and then vacuumed, it will "hang" in the air we breathe.
This material will help you choose a non-marble and high-quality carpet with the help of a 5-step instruction and a selection of 50 beautiful photos.
Step 1. Decide where you want to lay carpet in the kitchen
Carpet can be placed in at least 3 places:.
- The sink- this is the place where you most often go and stand for a long time. Here, the rug must be small, about 60 × 90 cm in size.
- Along the kitchen set, that is, the work area- for example, between a suite and a dining group or island. In this place, narrow and elongated paths or small rectangular covers look best.
- In the dining area- in this case, the size of the cover should be such that its edges do not bulge when moving chairs during lunch. Calculate the minimum dimensions of the carpet by simply adding to the length of each side of the table at least 60 cm. Most often, for a dining area, products are 230 × 300 cm, 240 × 330 cm or 250 × 350 cm.
In the next slider photo-examples of various variants of placing carpets and carpets in the kitchen are presented.
- Kilim between the island and the suite
- Between the dining and working areas
- In the working area of the kitchen
- In the working area of the kitchen
- In the working area of the kitchen
- Near the shell
Step 2. Make measurements
Now, when the place is chosen, mark on the floor the contour of the future carpet in the desired size with the help of an adhesive tape. So you get its approximate parameters and you can be sure that the carpet will not intersect with other pieces of furniture.
Step 3. Decide on the form
The main principle of choosing a form is simple: the shape of the carpet should repeat the shape of the table. That is, if the table is oval, then the carpet is better to choose the oval. So you will achieve a sense of order in space. However, if you want, you can choose:
- For a round table - a round or square rug.
- For a rectangular table - a rectangular or oval carpet.
You can also orient yourself to the shape of the kitchen. If the room has an elongated rectangular shape, then the carpet should be chosen the same. If the room is square, then round or square covers are suitable.
However, all these recommendations can be ignored if you choose a large carpet for the dining area in a very spacious kitchen or dining room.
Step 4. We choose the material
Since situations where you are scattering something or spilling in the kitchen are inevitable, then the carpet here should be made of a material that is easy to clean in a dry and damp way. The most practical carpets are woven from:
- Wool- the most traditional and widespread option. Wool is warm, pleasant to touch and easy to clean. A qualitative woolen carpet of factory production will last for 20-50 years. However, its pile easily absorbs liquid contaminants, for example, food, and removing stains from it will not be so easy. In addition, keep in mind that the wool, and even with small crumbs and stains from food, attracts a mole. Another disadvantage - a wool carpet can accumulate static electricity (however, much less than synthetic coatings). All these drawbacks can be deprived of products treated with dirt-repellent, anti-mild and antistatic impregnations.
- Nylon (polyamide)- Of all synthetic materials, nylon is most closely approximated to wool in both appearance and performance characteristics. Nylon carpets are practical and durable, the only negative is that they burn out in the sun. At a price they are comparable to woolen products.
- Polypropylene (decolane, Ixelan)- more affordable, and therefore a popular option. Polypropylene carpet is perfect for the kitchen, as its smooth fibers are resistant to moisture absorption, including liquid food contaminants, such as wine. Service life is 5-7 years. A high-quality foam-coated carpet should have a high density, then the nap will not crumple.
Slightly worse will withstand the kitchen conditions silk, cotton, viscose and polyester coatings. And we do not recommend buying acrylic products.
Whichever material you choose, the main thing is that it is lint-free or short-haired, but by no means long-tailed or looped.
Lint-free carpets are more like a fabric with dense and sometimes coarse weaving. These can be double-sided carpets, mats made from plant materials or synthetics, as well as carpets "kilim" and "sumac". Such mats just fit for the design of the working area - near the sink or along the headset. True, with mats made of wicker sisal, bamboo, jute, linen, etc. you need to be careful, because they are afraid of moisture. However, they tolerate other kitchen contaminations perfectly, if they have a dense and smooth weaving.
Step 5. Determine with color and design
Here are a few tips to help you decide on the design and color of the carpet.
- The pattern and coloring should correspond with the rest of the interior. For example, with curtains, furniture, wall decoration, wallpaper design, apron or floor tiles.
- The darker the coating, the less it is marked.
- Crumbs and other contaminants will be barely noticeable on the carpet with a motley pattern, for example, on the same carpets or kilims.
- If the kitchen is narrow, then with the help of carpet in the cross strip, zigzag, wave, etc. you can visually expand the space.
And a little about care
And finally, when you buy a carpet, you will need the following tips for care:
- First of all, a freshly bought carpet, and especially a carpet or rug, must be fixed on floor with the usual two-sided adhesive tape, special rubber bands or Velcro for fixing carpets. Also, you can simply sew some rubber rings or just pieces to the underside of the carpet.
- Keep in mind that the wool carpet will be "molting" for the first six months - this is a normal process for all new products. Be patient and at first clean the carpet only in a dry way. And not with a vacuum cleaner, but with a soft brush or a broom.
- For any carpet, dry cleaning is preferable to wet cleaning. But since this is a kitchen rug, you can not do without wet cleaning. If you want the product to last a long time, then do not wash it with a vacuum cleaner, but manually with a soft brush.
- Once a year, the carpet can be knocked out on the snow or put in a dry cleaning with a turbine treatment.
- If you want to remove the carpet, then it should be rolled up, not folded.
- Products woven from natural materials, do not forget to handle means from insects.
- . We choose a tablecloth for the kitchen table for 6 steps.
- . We decorate the walls with plates - master class and 100 photos for inspiration.
- . Draw and paint the walls of the kitchen like a pro.
- . 10 ideas for wall decor for the kitchen.
- . Ideas and master classes on sewing stitches with their own hands.