During the swarming, the queen with her bee family is looking for a new home. Then comes the time when some beekeepers lose their bees, while others replenish the apiary. Multiply the number of honey insects in the apiary will help special devices - bee traps. Knowledgeable beekeepers often build their own hand from improvised materials, using drawings.
In this article, we will tell you how to make a trap for bees with your own hands on drawings, how to make a trap from plywood and bottles.
Table of contents
- Why do they set traps
- What a trap looks like for bees
- Manufacture under a standard plywood frame
- Making the case
- Beef trap from fiberboard
- Method of manufacturing the device with your own hands according to the drawings
- Trap from a bottle
- Trap for drones
Why do they set traps
When a bee family, with a uterus older than two years, is not busy with work (honey), they begin to prepare for swarming. Such a process is natural and instinctive, and beekeepers, in turn, must resort to a variety of tricks. If you do not notice this action, then the bee family will start swarming.
Roy can fly from a neighboring or from a neglected apiary, and can fly many kilometers in search of suitable housingIs a wandering swarm. Beekeepers value these bees for quality performance, for trapping these families and arranging traps.
It is at such times that a trap for swarms is needed, made by hand..
What a trap looks like for bees
A classic catcher is a trap for bees made from plywood or fiberboard, which:
- has a dead bolt, with its help you can easily and tightly close the bees in a trap, when the time for transportation will come;
- you can make yourself, or find a suitable farm;
- frames, a pair of them with honeycombs for bait;
- equipped with only one flyer, intended for the entrance of insects.
Manufacture under a standard plywood frame
Before starting the installation, it is necessary to prepare the material:
- plywood (thickness 4 mm);
- rope (10 m);
- a piece of canvas;
- boards (20 cm wide and 2 cm thick);
- pins (4 mm in size);
- Insulating material (polyethylene or roofing material);
- sheet foam.
- furniture stapler;
- a hammer;
Making the case
The technology is as follows:
- of the plank thickness of two centimeters is built the bottom;
- from the same laths the rear and the facade of the catcher are assembled;
- In a facade wall such a crevice is cut out so that the largest bee can climb through it. In most cases, its dimensions are 10x100 mm;
- the walls are attached to the bottom;
- with the help of racks, lateral bases are made;
- Preparing the parts for the upholstery of the box from the plywood sheet;
- they are lined with plywood;
- on the side walls inside, the slats are attached, on which the shoulders of the framework will lie;
- complete the body assembly.
Also you will be interested to know:
- What to do when a bee stings.
- How to determine the quality of honey and its naturalness.
- Useful properties of honey for men and women.
The cover of the construction is similar to the roof of a conventional evidence. Example of manufacturing:
- on the sheet of plywood the quadrilateral is drawn so that its dimensions are 1 cm larger than the box itself;
- this part is being prepared;
- At the edges, the slats are nailed, so that the part can be densely placed on the base of the trap;
- The foam is treated with glue and applied to the bottom of the lid;
- The top of the detail is covered with a roofing felt or cellophane;
- the cover is fixed to the body;
- A handle for the trap is prepared from the wire. It is needed to transfer the structure and suspend it on the tree.
In the final, finishing touches:
- the frames fit into the design. Ahead are placed one or two frames with honeycombs, and the next - with a honeycomb. The maximum number is five frames;
- they are covered with linen;
- The flask is treated with propolis.You can use lemon balm or basil, they also attract bees.
Beef trap from fiberboard
This drawing of the catcher from fiberboard, holds 6-8 frames. Preparing for production, the necessary material is prepared:
- linseed oil;
- paint is dark green color;
- bruski width of 40 mm and a thickness of 25 mm.
Method of manufacturing the device with your own hands according to the drawings
The principle of making a rouletter from various materials is practically the same:.
- from the finished sheet of fiberboard are cut parts for the walls. It is not difficult to do this, all dimensions are indicated in the drawing;
- is bending with the help of racks to establish the framework. Attached to the top of the facade and the rear of the case, making a groove on the uneven bars.
- For this it is better to use a folding edge mill;
- The front and back walls are attached with slats;
- make a slot for the pilot armhole on the facade of the trap;
- fasten the side strips to the front and rear wall;
- prepare a place for planting the lid.
- fix the longitudinal bars to the side walls (the upper block must be 40 mm below the edge);
- make roofing for roofs from racks;
- instead of the ceiling boards, you can use a sawn piece of fiberboard;
- form the roof of the parts of the fiberboard so that the back and front are visors;
- at the end, the trap must be impregnated with linseed oil. To make the design less noticeable, you can apply a layer of dark green paint.
Prepare a trap for bees - this is not the end.It must be safely caught and put in a permanent hive. To do this, remember a few tips:
- place designs early, because the bee-scouts have been searching for a place for dwelling for two or three weeks;
- periodically need to watch traps. If you noticed near the tapping of bees (no less than 15), then the family on someone's apiary or a swarm of wild bees is preparing to fly;
- you can climb a tree and listen to the hive;
- when you make sure that the family has already become trapped, you need to close it;
- do it at sunset, when all the bees are at home;
- the bees are delivered to the apiary;
- trap, if necessary, return back without forgetting to rub the chutes, as well as the front wall from the inside.
Trap from a bottle
Often, beekeepers resort to a different type of trap, which is not needed to catch swarms, but to destroy harmful pests. The conversation is about wasps - dirty people who deliver beekeepers and bees a lot of trouble.These insects, even in cold weather, are active,and often penetrate into honey houses for theft of honey.
The beekeeper is obliged to monitor this, otherwise the consequences may be flying for many beehives. That's why a trap is made for the bees from the bottle. The size of such a trap is small, but it does the necessary work.
For its manufacture, no special drawings and materials are needed. It is necessary to have:
- plastic container;
- tape or wire;
It is easy to make a trap. Cut the top of the bottle and put it back with the neck down. Inside put the bait, and the device is fixed in the appropriate place.The principle of capture is as follows: the wasp penetrates the trap through the funnel, but does not find an outlet, constantly pushes on the changed cone.
Trap for drones
You can also make a trap for drones with your own hands. The device is made of wire. It consists of two sections, between which a barrier is mounted, having 2 ends of a fine grid. A dividing grating is placed in front.Drones can not go through the bars and get into the top grid, not being able to get out of there.It is a trap.
There they can gather up to one liter. Soon everyone dies and needs to be thrown out. In the case of continued swarming, the trap is re-installed.If the uterus is caught, it is necessary to hang the structure and wait until the bees gather around it.Only then can you transfer them to the hive.
The capture of the bee family is the most necessary experience in the work of the beekeeper.Honey-bearing insects living in the wild often die due to lack of suitable housing or lack of feed. Therefore, bees need more in traps than beekeepers themselves.