The content of the article:
The peoples of the Caucasus have their own national dish ─ fried chicken with cheese and potatoes. But the preparation of the dish by the Balkars is different from Karachai baking. Khychin is one of the memorable cakes, which was "born" with a very interesting history.
A bit of history ...
The history of flat pies goes back to the distant past. Even in the descriptions of ancient Greek travelers, wandering around the Caucasus, mentioned the delicious, hearty baking ─ khychiny. Ethnographers counted more than 40 kinds of tortillas, which had different filling. Each of them was intended for a special occasion. For example:
- A round form of flat cakes, with a meat filling, was regaled during the celebration of the Apsata deity by the hunters.
- Extended cakes with meat, oily stuffing were treated during the closing of the hunting season. And the dishes were intended for the deity of Tothur.
- A special cake was considered to be chicken with cheese-and-meat stuffing, which was baked when a mating of domestic animals passed. During this period, a wish for an offspring was made. A lavish flat cake is a symbol of a good litter.
- The reapers were served with flat cakes stuffed with cheese, sour cream and butter. A special feature of baking was dough. It was believed that in order to get a good harvest, the dough should be prepared from fresh, displaced wheat, corn, buckwheat, barley.
Hutchins with potato-cheese filling began to bake two centuries ago. And today this is one of the popular dishes of many housewives.
The symbol of generosity and hospitality
It is impossible to imagine a table without this floury dish of Caucasian cuisine, which symbolizes the ancient symbol of the Sun. Khychiny is a manifestation of warm, sincere hospitality. Karachayevites fry flat cakes ─ more than 1 cm, and Balkars thin, even less than 3 mm. There is a general rule: fillings use 2/3 of the auxiliary material ─ test. Whatever owner owners have offered guests, thick or thin, they have the same amount of hospitality.
A thinly rolled dough makes the dish tastier. Do not forget about the ratio of dough / filling ─ 2/3.
Recipes of hutchins with potatoes and cheese
Khychin with potatoes and cheese are a wonderful nourishing additive to the first dish, snack or tea party. Caucasian food is now prepared everywhere. Each hostess uses a personal way of cooking. Some people like to fry cakes in oil, while others prefer a dry frying pan. But cooking combines melted butter to lubricate baking. According to the proposed recipes, hutchins with a potato-cheese mixture, any housewife will easily cook.
A classic recipe for cooking hutchins with potatoes and cheese
For a classic original recipe, you need a matzoni. In some regions it does not exist, so housewives use a low-fat, sour product.
- 5 l of 1% kefir;
- 3-4 tbsp of flour;
- 1 hour l of salt;
- 500 g of potatoes;
- 500 g of cheese;
- 100 g of butter.
Technology of preparation:
- In kefir pour sifted flour and salt.Get the dough as a dumplings. And leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes. Hot with cheese is passed through a meat grinder.
- Divide the dough into equal parts and roll into balls.
- Roll out the dough, and put the filling in the middle. Make a round patty, roll it up to 3 mm thick.
- Connect the edges in the form of a round patty.
- Roll out a thinly rounded patty. To form a flat cake.
- Bake on both sides in a dry frying pan.
- Each lubricate with melted butter.Cakes can be stacked in a pile, cut like a cake into 4-8 pieces.
For the filling you can use different components, and serve better with a white sauce from: sour cream (kefir), garlic, greens and salt.
Balkar Khychin with cheese and potatoes
Baking is very thin.
- 350-450 g of kefir;
- 3-4 tbsp of flour;
- 1 hour l of salt;
- 1/2 h. l of soda;
- 6-7 pieces of potatoes;
- 300 g of brynza or Adyghe cheese (their mixture).
- Knead a loose kneading dough from kefir, salt, quick-baked soda, flour. Leave in the dishes for 25-30 minutes.
- Boil potatoes, drain liquid, mash hot. Mix with grated cheese. You can use a meat grinder.
- Divide the dough into balls Ø4-5 cm, roll them into a small flat cake. Fill the middle with a stuffing, get a round patty, which with the help of a rolling pin turns into a flat cake.
- For baking, use a dry cast-iron frying pan. If the baking is "inflated you can make a puncture with a knife or fork.
- Bake the cake with a cake, pre-lubricated with a creamy butter.
- Cut into 4-8 pieces.
To prepare a fresh cake with Caucasian roots, you can use a variety of fillings. The mixture can be prepared from Adyghe cheese and herbs, ground beef with fried onions, young beetroot leaves and cheese.