Raspberry has a wonderful taste and a lot of useful properties, known since ancient times. For example, sheperfectly removes heat and malaise. Therefore, the majority of summer residents are engaged in the cultivation of this crop. Below you can get acquainted with the description and characteristics of the raspberry summer..
Table of contents
- Variety description
- Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- Appearance of bushes and berries of raspberry Indian summer
- Rules for planting and trimming
- Care and reproduction
- Additional fertilizing
- Preparation for winter
- Features of this type of raspberry
- Diseases and pests
It is the first patchwork raspberry variety produced by the Russian scientist, who was I.V. The Cossacks. It turned out "Indian Summer" from the crossing of "Kostinbrodskaya" and "Kuzmin's News".
It is best suited for cultivation in the North-West, Central and North-Caucasian regions.This variety does not tolerate drought and excessively high temperatures
If the gardener receives two crops at once, then one-year and two-year-old shoots are used. In this case,the first wave of berries will appear in the first days of summer, the fruiting period lasts until mid-July. Then in early September, the ripening of berries continues, and lasts until mid-October.
If you use only one-year shoots, then you can harvest in August, and in that case it will be much more than using the first method. Average,from one bush it is possible to collect from 1 to 3 kg of berries.
The raspberry bush is characterized by the presence of an average shoot with stiff and thin thorns. They also have a light wax coating. Color shoots - pinkish.
This variety is frost-resistant, because it experiences a cold to -30 degrees. The main condition is the presence of shelter, in the role of which a snow cover or a construction constructed by a person can act..
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- The main advantage -remoteness, the harvest can be obtained from annual and biennial shoots.
- If desiredyou can pick berries in the cold, autumn period.
- They do not lose their taste andDo not sour during heavy rainfall.
- Has immunityin relation to diseases such as curly or gray rot.
- With sufficient snow coverwell tolerates the temperature to -30 degrees.
- Low yieldvariety.
- Poorly transported, so it is more suitable for fresh consumption or quick processing.
- Has a tendency todefeat with powdery mildewor purple spotting.
- Formation of new shootsoccurs long enough.
Appearance of bushes and berries of raspberry Indian summer
The raspberry bush is characterized by a comparatively small growth, about 1- meter, as it can not boast of strong spreading and density.The shoots are weakly formed, only 10-15 pieces per m2. The shoots or inflorescences themselves strongly branch themselves. Leaves are dark green in color, small in size, with slight wrinkles and even surface.
The color of the berries is bright red, the shape of the truncated cone.The size can vary from, to, grams. To taste, they are juicy, sweet and sour, almost without aroma..
Rules for planting and trimming
To ensure that raspberries bring a good harvest and do not die before the due dateyou need to choose the right place for planting.
- Betteruse the southern part of the plota.
- Also welcomeThe presence of shelter from drafts and strong winds(maybe a wall of a house or other structure).
- Ground water levelshould not exceed, a meter from the surface of the earth.
- You can not plant raspberry bushes all the time in the same place,because the root system of this plant releases specific substances into the soil. Because of this, the full growth of new shrubs is possible only after 5-7 years.
You can plant raspberries at any time of the year, butThe best period is the end of September - the beginning of OctoberI. What would the plant have caught on as quickly as possibleadhere to the following rules:
- The best thingprepare a trenchwith a depth and width of half a meter.
- In order to make the soil more nutritious,the bottom is laid with humus, upper peat and compost. One square meter uses 2-3 buckets of this mixture. Also one glass of mineral fertilizers is added.
- What would be better to fix the roots of themsprinkled with fertile soiland carefully compacted.
- To complete the procedureeach bush is poured with 6 liters of waterand mulched with grass or other organic matter.
There are several options for the location of raspberry bushes:
- Between the rows the distance is left, equal to 2 meters, and between seedlings 1 meter.
- Can choosesquare sectionwith sides 1 meter, and place the bushes in each of the corners.
- Ifto use raspberries for two seasons, then at the end of the period of fruiting shoots should simply bend to the ground.
- In the event thatshrub is used as an annual plante, shoots cut at the root.
Care and reproduction
Repaired raspberry loves moisture, and can significantly suffer from its absence.Do not allow the root system to dry out, because in this case, complete death of the plant is possible. It is best to water daily. At present, there are many technical means for carrying out this procedure, for example, a drip system..
It is necessary to loosen the ground. Butdo not forget that the raspberry is a very fragile root system, which can not be damaged, so even at a distance of one meter from the bush you can not dig up the soil more than 4-6 centimeters.
April, May and Juneare considered to be the best months for making such fertilizers aschicken manure solution(: 0) or slurry (: 0).
In the same period, mineral fertilizers are also introduced, which can be prepared independently,using the following components:
- Saltpeter - 15 grams;
- Superphosphate - 40 grams;
- Potassium sulphate is 20 grams.
Autumn is a period for the introduction of potassium sulfide, it is important not to overdo it, a maximum of 30 grams of fertilizer is used per square meter of soil.
Raspberry propagates with the help of root offspring. To start,separated young shoot, a height of not more than 20 centimeters, the root color must be white. This indicator indicates the health of the chosen escape. After it is placed in the ground, as with the initial landing. It is best to perform such actions in late May - early June. If you do not damage the root system, then the harvest will be available for the next season.
Preparation for winter
- If you grow raspberries as an annual culture, before the onset of frost it is necessary to cut off all the shoots and carefully mulch the soil.
- If you leave the shoots, then among them you need to choose the strongest ones, the others are removed.Before the cold, they must be bent to the groundand fix in this position with the help of pegs.
- Whatever the roots are better than survived the frost you need to thoroughly moisturize them,intensively watering bushes by the end of the season.
- If there is little snow in winterraspberries require additional shelter.
- In order to keep the snow coverfences are installed, which will protect it from wind blowing.
Features of this type of raspberry
The main feature will be repair, that is, the ability to grow berries, both on annual and biennial shoots.A variety of Indian summer can yield a crop twice a year, in summer and in autumn. It is also possible to grow raspberries only for autumn fruiting, in that case, it will be more abundant than with a double harvest.
If you use the autumn planting, then in no case can the upper part of the shoot be cut off, as in the spring planting. Because the removed part contains important substances for the formation of new kidneys and inflorescences. Or, the plant can begin to grow sharply the lost element, and at the time of frosts will simply perish.
As you know, raspberry Indian summer is very fond of moisture. ANDIf there is no possibility to constantly water the plant, you can do the following:watering, three times the usual volume, then the ground around the roots must be thoroughly mulched, so as to save as much moisture as possible.
To increase the yield, you need to cut the raspberry bushes in time. To the old branches did not interfere with the young. Also, one should not forget about timely watering and regular feeding.
Diseases and pests
Indian summer is often exposed to diseases, here are some of them:
- Purple spotting- on young shoots appear brown spots, which grow and lead to the complete withering of the affected area. It must be removed in order not to infect healthy branches. For prevention, in the spring, bushes are sprayed with 1% Brod liquid and Hom preparation.
- Powdery mildew- in a warm and humid weather, a white coating appears on the leaves and berries. Spraying with Topaz or Fundazol will help to get rid of it.
- Sheet Mosaic- appear white and dark spots, which are located in the form of a mosaic. Cure such a disease is impossible, so you have to remove the affected areas.
- Raspberry aphid- very fond of settling on young shoots, the leaves are twisted and quickly fade. To get rid of aphids, you need to cut off the inhabited place and burn it. Spring prevention is a solution of Carbophos.
- Spider mite- he eats juice from the leaves of the plant, you can recognize the mite on a thin cobweb on the bush and light, eaten spots. In the fight against it, Fitoverm or Vermitik can help.
- The raspberry beetle- the larvae of this beetle feed on berries, which significantly reduces yield. In this case, a solution of potassium permanganate or Iskra is used.
I really like the sort of Indian summer for sweetness and unobtrusive aroma, but it requires a lot of attention. In addition, the berries are very small and with a double crop do not have time to ripen on annual shoots. -Svetoulya
There are varieties much better than the Indian summer, but I like this raspberry to my taste. Berries, although small, but there are many. Of the minuses, you can still say about the strong height of the bush, in addition, it requires a garter. -Elena
This variety has a creeping root system, so it is best to protect the roots under the ground. I love "Indian Summer" for the opportunity to pamper yourself with fresh berries even in the fall. I also want to say that they are difficult to transport, they quickly crumple and lose shape. -Olesya
Although the Indian summer is distinguished by a large number of minuses, all of them are crossed out by the opportunity to feast on raspberries in the fall. Also,berries are very tasty and beautiful. The main problem is the need for constant care and attention..