Flour is usually stored for future use due to the possibility of maintaining its quality for a long time. In this article I will describe the most efficient storage conditions for flour, under which it will not deteriorate, and insects will not live in it.
But from violation of the temperature and humidity regimes in it appears harmful animal, mold. That is, the product becomes unusable. But he is guaranteed a long term, even when stored in an apartment.
First it is necessary to isolate the newly purchased bag from old stocks of cereals and similar products. Perhaps they already have uninvited inhabitants. And they will spend a week on a new purchase.
However, the same happens with stocks in some outlets from the ignorance of their owners, how to protect the flour from pests. Therefore, if there is no confidence in the quality selected product, be sure to open the package to make sure there are no bugs.
General storage instructions are quite simple:
- humidity limitation;
- stable temperature conditions;
- special packaging.
Humidity rate - 60%, favorable temperature +6 - + 15 ° C. At the same time, a sharp fluctuation of these indicators will actually reduce the shelf life of flour.
I shall specify that the fat content in oatmeal, corn, rye, soy flour and in wheat flour of the second grade is increased. And it is the fat that shortens the use of these products. For example, wheat flour of the 2nd grade should be consumed in 3 months.
I will list the shelf life of specific types of flour at + 6 ° C:
- sorted wheat flour - up to 7 months;
- rye - up to 6 months;
- soy and corn not deodorized - up to 5 months;
- deodorized soy - up to 12 months
Determining the quality of purchase
The main condition for the safety of stocks - the quality of the product.
Determination of the quality of uninfected and clean product:
- stale flour bitter or sour taste;
- the unpleasant smell emits already musty flour;
- the feeling of cold when touched speaks of the increased moisture of the product - it means that it will quickly deteriorate without immediate drying.
Now consider the conditions of storage of flour at home.
Long-term storage conditions without bugs
Bought flour of the highest grade (even in hermetic bags) should be scattered on a baking sheet and dried in the oven for 15 minutes and then collected in sealed jars. An alternative to warming up is the freezer.
If there is no doubt about the quality of the product, it is enough to dry it beforehand: just scatter on a sheet of paper. Then store it in a dry place without any odors, because the flour will absorb them.
Stocks must be monitored systematically:
- check taste;
- prevent warming;
- spread out on paper to dry;
- periodically sift and pour into a clean container;
- Wash contaminated container with baking soda, dry.
Remember that temperature fluctuations will cause fogging and damage to the product itself. So create favorable conditions for insects.
What is the best way to store flour
Now we will define in what to store flour at home.
- Usually strategic stocks of rye and wheat flour are poured into fabric bags., hand-sewn. In a ventilated cool pantry, the contents of such linen bags will last for a long time and will not be damaged by a bug.
First, stitched bags are soaked in salt (2 tbsp. spoons in 1 liter of water). Salt is a natural fighter with larvae, insects and mold.
- It is better to pour the contents of the opened package into a glass jar.. Although suitable and a metal box with a lid.
- For a long time, great-grandmothers saved flour in a glass jar. Its tightness saves the product from sharing the pests.
- Small volumes more convenient to fall asleep in a plastic container, but only with the imminent use of this product. In the kitchen, we put it on a separate shelf, away from odors, which are absorbed by plastic. At the same time, we avoid the upper shelves so that the warm air does not overheat the contents, so the shelves will fit almost at the floor level.
So, the best packaging is made of glass or plastic. Containers are usually equipped with gaskets, they will provide the lid as much as possible snug fit.
But such a tightness is not peculiar to metal containers. Large stocks will remain as long as possible in fabric bags.
How to prevent the appearance of flour bugs
The tightness of the containers, their tight lids will prevent the "sharing" in them of pests. And for linen sacks, various methods have long been invented.
The easiest defense is garlic cloves, unpeeled. Phytoncides excreted by them will scare pests away for a long time. Calculation - 2 large slices of garlic per 1 kg of flour.
Other herbal supplements have the same effect:
- Calendula (dry flowers) pour in a large bag, and put a smaller one in it, with flour. So the flowers will not mix with it, and the bugs will not start.
- Laurel leaflets, like garlic, scare away insects.
- Dry cloves its sharp aroma protects the flour stocks from bugs.
- The shelves under the bags should be cleaned once a week 9% vinegar.
If emergency measures are required, i.e. bugs have already started, I propose effective ways to get rid of them for a long time.
Getting rid of the bugs in the flour
Causes of bugs:
- unfair packaging inspection;
- poor primary grain processing, eliminating the larvae and bugs;
- poor quality control, not rejecting the infected party.
Often, flour is put into flour, sometimes by the food moth. They die hard, so they do not immediately die even in the cold. Gnawed sieves and bags indicate the presence of flour.
Ginger mukoedy are found at feed mills, mills, bakeries. They prefer products with a moisture content of more than 15%. They like rotting flour, especially corn flour. But their colonies themselves increase the moisture content of their products with their excrement, shell of larvae.
If bugs start up, you need to act without delay, so that the remaining insects do not spoil the new stocks:
- Sifted heat the flour in the oven at 100 ° C.
- Freed from contaminated food bags to throw away.
- For new stocks prepare sealed plastic or glass containers.
- Infected banks hold for half an hour in a solution of soap, rinse and dry.
- Make sure there are no pests in other stocks, and better send them for 2 days in the freezer - for prevention.
- Wash all kitchen and cabinets with soap and sodaand then wipe with 9% vinegar.
- Gaps, valves, scalded with boiling water.
After such radical actions, you can safely replenish stocks.
Now, armed with knowledge, you can continue not to risk your reserves, and not suffer losses. After all, the listed conditions and methods guarantee the safety of flour and its quality.
I recommend to still watch the informative video in this article. And if you have any questions - discuss them in the comments!