Causes of plaque and its harm
Deposits on the inner walls of the cistern are caused by mineral salts dissolved in water. Most of all contribute to the formation of hard plaque salts of calcium and magnesium, as well as iron, which falls mainly from old water pipes. Especially quickly plaque is formed if the toilet bowl is earthenware with a porous, slightly rough inner surface. In this case, the impurities easier to consolidate on the walls, and get rid of them later more difficult.The harder the water in your area, the faster the tank will be covered with bloom. In addition to salts, other impurities settle to the bottom. If the lid is not tightly closed, dust can penetrate, and in some cases, the walls begin to bloom, mold and bacteria multiply.
But is it dangerous to raid? Maybe there is nothing bad in it, especially since it does not throw itself into the eyes and does not spoil the appearance?
If the walls are not cleaned from the inside, then particles of scurf can penetrate under the drain valve that closes the drain hole. This will lead to a leaky fit of the valve, to the flow of water, condensate.
Formation of plaque on the flush mechanism of the toilet bowl often causes it to break. The float lever or other moving element may stop working, the stop gasket may fail. This will require repair, and in some cases, a complete replacement of the drain system.
How to open the drain tank
Suppose you decide to check and clean the tank at home. How to do it? First shut off the water supply and press the drain button so that the tank is empty. However, if you intend to just see what's inside, then you can not do this.
The opening method will depend on the model of the toilet flush device. The lid of the tank can be lifted up by hands and put aside. But often there are models in which the lid is screwed to the drain mechanism. In this case, it is necessary to unscrew the mount by pressing the chrome ring located around the drain button and unscrewing it, like a nut, counterclockwise.
In plastic containers, the cover can be mounted from the sides. In this case, use the screwdriver to unscrew the side fasteners.
The most difficult situation is with the toilet cistern hidden behind the false panel or mounted in the wall. If during the installation a revision hole was not made, then you will not be able to look inside.
If you decide to thoroughly clean, remove the float and other parts, remember how they were screwed. All elements of the toilet bowl should be wiped with a cloth with detergent and rinsed in clean water. There are several ways to clean the dirt from the walls.
- Abrasive powders and pastes help to clear the plaque, but for this you need to apply muscle strength. Pour the powder on a rag and wipe the walls. Leave it for a few minutes, then wipe again and rinse with water.
- Alkaline products such as Domestos, Dosya, Tyrone do not help very well to get rid of the plaque, but they perfectly disinfect the surface. Put means on walls and leave for some time. The longer it will take effect, the better the tank will be whitened from the inside.
- Acidic agents, for example, Sillit or Sanoks, do an excellent job with limescale, but require careful handling. Be sure to use gloves and do not bend close to the acid solution, so as not to breathe it in pairs.
- Household products are also used for cleaning. This is mainly soda, vinegar and citric acid. They are used separately, treating the surface, leaving for 2-3 hours and washing.
- A more exotic way of cleaning is to use Coca-Cola. The bottle of drink must be poured into a previously empty tank and left overnight. It is said that Coca-Cola eats away even old pollution.
- Whiteness and other chlorine-containing substances can disinfect the tank, but they are not able to clean hard deposits.
For greater effect, you can use a brush or a hard washcloth. If the walls are smooth, it is preferable to clean them with a sponge or a slightly abrasive brush so as not to scratch the surface. After you have cleaned the toilet, assemble the entire mechanism, cover the container with a lid and tighten all the nuts and rings.
How to care
In order for less lime to form, you need to properly care for the toilet bowl. Once every 3-4 months open it and inspect, carry out preventive cleaning. Fresh bloom is easy to clean with ordinary detergent.
Special tablets and gels are produced in capsules that are placed inside the cistern. They are gradually washed away with water, soften it and at the same time remove impurities. In addition, these tools have a refreshing smell, which makes staying in the bathroom more pleasant.