- What is acrylic wallpaper?
- Advantages and disadvantages of acrylic wallpaper
- How to choose acrylic wallpaper?
- How to stick acrylic wallpaper?
- At the end of
Acrylic wallpaper is a durable and inexpensive coating that can withstand wet cleaning. It is these qualities that allow them to compete in the modern wallpaper market, represented by a huge amount of materials. Since acrylic wallpaper is a relatively new material, not everyone knows about it yet, and some are confused with vinyl wallpaper. What are acrylic wallpapers, what are their advantages and peculiarities of sticking?
What is acrylic wallpaper?
acrylic wallpapers consist of two layers of : the first is paper, the second is foam acrylic. The latter is applied not in a continuous layer, as in the case of vinyl analog, but in a point-like manner, which allows obtaining a relief pattern and a breathing surface. The layer of acrylic foam is about 2 mm. For comparison, on vinyl wallpaper, an outer layer of 4 mm, which explains some of the differences in materials. A thinner coating layer means less weight, but less wear resistance.
Under the name "acryl" I mean a group of polymers based on synthetic resins that foam well and keep their shape.
Advantages and disadvantages of acrylic wallpaper
Based on the structure of the material, one can judge its key properties. Among the advantages are the following qualities:
- high wear resistance ;
- material withstands mechanical damage, so it can be used in apartments where children and animals live;
- acrylic wallpaper can be washed , so the appearance will remain flawless for a long time. You can only wash with a slightly damp, soft cloth and without using detergents, but this is also not bad;
- low cost .If you compare acrylic wallpaper with a direct competitor, vinyl wallpaper, they are somewhat cheaper;
- acrylic wallpapers breathe , which allows them to be used not only in hallways, like other washable wallpapers, but also in living rooms or even bedrooms;
- in acrylic wallpaper will not develop mold or fungus ;
- thanks to the wide choice of colors and the relief surface of the acrylic wallpaper can be used in almost any room and match many interior styles. Moreover, the relief allows you to hide some of the shortcomings of the walls, but this is not about holes and cracks.
There are not many deficiencies in the coating - they can be found when compared with other types of wallpaper and find fault. Due to the small thickness of the outer layer, the coating abrades faster, but this is relative, because the service life of the material is from 10 years and more depending on the conditions of operation and maintenance. Among the minuses is also often called the inability to wash acrylic wallpaper with detergents, but this does not interfere with the use of water to remove dirt.
How to choose acrylic wallpaper?
The material for all manufacturers is manufactured using a similar technology: the base is always paper, the coating is acrylic. This simplifies the choice, because you do not have to understand the intricacies of different technologies. In addition, today acrylic non-woven wallpaper comes on sale, they are included in expensive collections of European manufacturers. This material is characterized by increased wear resistance and durability.
When buying a material, it is better to pay attention to the parameters of rolls. The length is usually 10.5 m, and the width ranges from 0.5 to 0.9 m .If the room is small, then it will be more convenient to work with narrower wallpaper, and the scraps will be much less. When it comes to spacious rooms, it is appropriate to use the widest possible material: this will allow you to quickly cope with the installation and reduce the number of joints.
The price of acrylic wallpaper varies widely and depends on the manufacturer's name, country of manufacture, relief, design, year of release of the collection and some other factors. In this regard, everyone should sensibly assess their own budget. Experts recommend not chasing the most expensive wallpaper from import companies, but to trust the choice to the manufacturer with a reputable name, and it does not matter whether it is domestic wallpaper or foreign.
The main thing that needs to be decided when choosing acrylic wallpaper is , what will be the design of .First, it is necessary to take into account the size of the room, its style, orientation relative to the cardinal points, the color of furniture and textiles, and secondly, from the variety that the construction market offers, choose the appropriate option. The task is not simple, but a few useful tips will help you cope with this problem:
- light shades visually expand the room and are a universal solution for most apartments in typical multi-storey buildings .Bright paints and large drawings also hide the space, so even small room owners should refuse them. In this case, use better pastel and delicate shades with medium-sized drawings;
- can compensate for the lack of illumination of using wallpaper of warm shades: peach, yellow, coral, apricot. If the room is southern and there is too much sunshine in it, then it is better to stop the choice on cold tones: light green, blue, light blue;
- can not stop only on some wallpaper, because two types of material can be combined with each other .Usually they choose monophonic wallpapers and with patterns in the same key, but a combination of different colors, different ornaments against the same color, etc. is possible. Different wallpapers can be alternated, used for one of the walls or split the wall horizontally. Combination options weight, and the result - an interesting interior;
- wallpaper is not necessary to choose the tone of the furniture - this is already in the past, but all the furnishings in the room should be in harmony in color and pattern.
When buying acrylic wallpaper, note that all rolls are from the same batch. So more guarantees that the material will not differ in shade. Packaging of products must be complete and durable, the availability of certificates of quality and safety, as well as sticking instructions are strictly necessary.
Acrylic wallpapers are great for rooms such as living rooms or bedrooms, as the material "breathes".Such wallpapers would be appropriate in the hallway, which does not go directly into the street, but for kitchens, where they are constantly and actively preparing something, and acrylic wallpapers are not suitable for baths.
How to stick acrylic wallpaper?
Acrylic wallpaper pokleit no more difficult than paper or vinyl, but still some subtleties should be considered. Installation is carried out end-to-end with , but some also speak of the possibility of overlapping them, if the drawing is such that the joints between the two webs will not be very noticeable.
Although acrylic wallpapers are able to hide some defects of the walls, but large cracks and irregularities need to align .Of course, if there are remnants of another decoration on the walls, then before starting work it is necessary to get rid of it. For leveling you need a putty, and if the surface is far from ideal, it is better to use plaster. Another option is to level the walls with plasterboard, but this method is only relevant for walls that are too damaged and on condition that there is enough space in the room.
It is imperative that after leveling , prime the walls of the .You need to choose a composition that fits the base material: concrete, brick, plasterboard, etc. In extreme cases, you can dilute the wallpaper glue and process the resulting solution to process the walls.
After all this, has a good idea to mark the walls with to facilitate installation. Since it is customary to start sticking from the corner near the window, a distance equal to the width of the wallpaper is laid out from it. A strictly vertical line is drawn along the mark, and the necessary distance is again set aside from it. It is possible to do without this stage, but if a person who is not very experienced in this matter is working, then this marking will help to achieve a more accurate result.
Now it’s up to to cut the wallpaper itself. If they are solid, then there will be a minimum of problems. It is enough to know the height of the walls and add 4-5 cm to it for allowances. If there is a drawing on the canvases, then it must be correctly combined: the manufacturer indicates how many centimeters it will be necessary to combine the drawing. Consumption of such wallpaper will be much higher. For more accurate cutting, it is advisable to measure the height of the walls in several places to make sure that it is the same everywhere, otherwise you need to take into account the errors when cutting wallpaper.
Glue for acrylic wallpaper is prepared according to its instructions. The process is simple and, as a rule, consists of adding a specific amount of water to the powder and thoroughly mixing. When the glue is ready, its is applied onto an wallpaper sheet, which is gently applied to the wall and pressed from top to bottom. Since acrylic wallpapers are elastic, they can be slightly shifted during installation. The air from under the material is removed using a roller, which iron the surface from the center to the edges. It is better to carry out installation together.
After the wallpaper is hung, they are left to dry for a day or two, and in the room it is necessary to ensure the absence of drafts and the temperature at the level of 18-220С.
Acrylic wallpaper is a great alternative to vinyl, because with similar performance qualities this material is capable of passing air. The range will allow you to choose the appropriate material for any interior style, and the installation should not cause any particular difficulties if you pre-mark the wall correctly, cut the wallpaper, work carefully and adhere to optimal environmental conditions.