- Types of rails
- Materials for railing
- Where to place railing?
- Accessories for railing
- railing and style of kitchen
- What else should you consider when choosing a railing?
- Installation of railing
- At the end of
Placing small and constantly necessary kitchen utensils on the wall is very convenient, and all the hostesses know this. But to replace the primitive nail hammered into the wall come more modern fixtures - rails. What are they like and what kind of railing will best fit into your kitchen?
The is a simple design of the under the convoluted word “railing”.This is a metal rod attached to the wall. On it you can place ladles, colanders, paper towels, saucepans lids, even bottles of oil and other utensils, and perhaps this is due to various hanging accessories.
The first rails were used in professional kitchens, but then ordinary housewives also appreciated their convenience. Today, roof rails are widely used thanks to their numerous advantages:
- the ability to install in the kitchen of any size;
- easy installation and maintenance;
- low price;
- many additional accessories that enhance functionality;
- high structural strength, able to withstand large loads.
Reiling can be a real decoration of the kitchen, its highlight. It is also worth noting that he can place on himself a sufficient number of necessary items, but it does not take up space, like a cabinet containing as many things.
As for accessories, practically any railing can be equipped with numerous hooks, holders for glasses and towels, dryers, and mesh shelves. Thus, the metal crossbar acquires additional functionality, becoming an indispensable element of the kitchen.
Types of rails
Different railing types are suitable for different kitchens:
Horizontal ratings - the most familiar and common. They are fixed either with one continuous line along the entire working area of the kitchen, or in several sections, and they can be single-tier or multi-tiered .Such rails fit perfectly into any kitchen, often used in small spaces. They are fastened mainly under kitchen wall cabinets at a distance of 5-7 cm from them.
Vertical rails are not attached to the walls: they are installed on the tabletop or stretched from floor to ceiling. Often these rails are used in kitchens where there are bar counters. Shelves and various supports for kitchen utensils are mounted on the crossbars.
Suspended rails title already talk about their features. They are hung from the ceiling, but they are used mainly in spacious kitchens, as well as where the kitchen-island is installed.
Materials for railing
The absolute majority of rails are made of from metal .Commonly used stainless steel, brass, anodized aluminum, copper .Metal is an ideal material for railings, it is durable, it can withstand high loads, but from all the listed options, it is better to choose stainless steel, because it is corrosion resistant and easily copes with high loads, unlike aluminum, which can bend.
Depending on preferences, the metal can be chrome plated, made in the color of bronze, gold, copper. In this case, all plugs and accessories are selected with exactly the same coating.
Where to place the railing?
Horizontal railing, as mentioned above, is usually placed in the work area above the worktop at a height of about 40-50 cm from it, and the distance to the hanging kitchen cabinets should be 5-7 cm. Under the horizontal railing you can even take the whole freewall: in this case, the crossbars are arranged in in several tiers of , and all items of kitchen utensils on the roof rails become a kind of decoration. Often, the rails are mounted not only in the worktop area, but also above the stove and above the sink.
It must be remembered that under the weight of pots, bottles and other items, the railing can bend, therefore, the fasteners are positioned at a distance of no more than 50 cm from each other. A great option for corner kitchens is railing bent at right angles. Hanging railing can be hung over the kitchen island, and above the dining table, if it fits into the interior.
Accessories for railing
The choice of accessories for railing is very wide:
- hooks. Without them, it is difficult to imagine railing. On the hooks you can hang tacks, lids, dishes and many other things, depending on the need;
- shelves are necessary for the arrangement of spices and bottles, household chemicals, sponges, cutting boards;
- mounted drying ;
- book holder , if you often use cookbooks. With such an accessory, the book will not occupy space on the working surface and get dirty;
- holder for food film with a serrated surface will greatly simplify the process of its use;
- knife holder will be appropriate above the work area;
- holder for covers can be placed near the plate;
- hanging bar or bottle holder is useful to all wine lovers. In addition, holders for wine glasses can be used.
When choosing accessories, you should first of all think about their functionality, but you should not forget about the appearance either. Properly selected railing and accessories to it will make the kitchen not only comfortable, but also cozy, because this is a kind of decor.
Railing and style of the kitchen
Naturally, each element of the kitchen space should be in harmony with the general style of the kitchen and with other objects in it. The railing is not an exception, so when choosing it, it is worthwhile to think carefully, what is the most convenient of railing to fit into the space of the specific kitchen , and whether it will fit at all. There are interiors that can only be spoiled by a similar design. This is the kitchen in the Japanese and minimalist style , because they require the use of a minimum of objects so that the maximum space remains free.
In other cases, it is worth exploring the features of the chosen style and determining which railing will fit perfectly into it. So, for kitchen in retro style or classic , roof rails are perfect for gold and carved details. Simple chrome-plated metal rods are suitable for hi-tech and techno , but they should not be overloaded with various accessories and objects. Rails fit perfectly in the style of country and Provence: in this case, they can be decorated with tacks and napkins in a cage or flower, wooden spoons, jars of spices.
What else should be considered when choosing a railing?
Manufacturers have prepared a lot of different railings and accessories for kitchens of any size and configuration. Given the characteristics of the room, you can choose the most suitable railing.
- If the kitchen is small , then an abundance of items hung on the railing can create a feeling of confusion. In this case, it is better to place only the most necessary things on it: pot holders, spatulas and spices, for example.
- If the kitchen is spacious , then you can use a long railing, which will look especially advantageous where instead of wall cabinets a shelf system is used. In this case, it will be possible to place all those items on it that usually stand on the working surface, freeing it.
- For kitchens with corner sink , you can use a special element that is mounted on the railing and becomes a convenient shelf for household chemicals.
- For a short wall, use multi-level rails.
- Before buying a railing, you should think in advance about what accessories will be needed for it and which ones will be superfluous. It is important to find a middle ground between the functionality and accuracy of the kitchen space.
Installation of railing
Installing railing in the kitchen is quite simple. It is attached to almost any material, with the exception of aprons made of glass.
The first step is to determine the location of the fasteners : mark them with a level and a pencil. Their number directly depends on the length of the railing: for 50-90 cm, two fastenings will suffice, and if the railing is more than a meter in length, then it is better to provide three points of support, etc. In general, for safety, it is advised to keep the railing fastened to the wall every 50 cm.
. Now it is necessary for to make holes in the designated areas of the .You can use the drill, if the apron is lined with ceramic tiles, it is better to use a drill with a diamond-coated. When the holes are ready, plastic dowels are mounted in them, self-tapping screws are inserted into the bushings and into the prepared dowels.
The next stage is the mounting of the railing holders. This is a part with two holes: one is intended for the rail, the second is for the sleeve. It is necessary to install the holder on the sleeve and fix it with screws. In the prepared holders of the , the railing itself is installed, trying to ensure that its ends are symmetrically positioned relative to the holders themselves. Railing is also fastened with screws. Now it's up to you: it remains for to install the decorative plugs. They are forgotten in the railing with a wooden handle of the hammer in order not to damage the coating. After installing the selected accessories, the railing is ready for operation.
At the end of the
, the railing is a convenient and attractive addition to the modern kitchen. With it, you can organize the storage of a mass of things, and at the same time turn the design into a cute decor object. It is only important to decide on the type of railing, its size and attached accessories. It all depends on the characteristics of the kitchen room, the existing interior and the requirements of the owners.