- №1. Basic functions and types of grouts
- №2. Cement trowelling: properties and applications
- No. 3. Epoxy grouts: advantages and features
- №4. Color of grout for tiles
- №5. Manufacturers of grout for tiles
- In conclusion
The process of laying ceramic tiles is laborious and complex, but even if all the works were done flawlessly, it's too early to talk about the result, because the final stage is ahead -grouting. Grouting joints takes on a lot of functions and sometimes allows not only to achieve a complete and harmonious the kind of tiled surface, but also significantly transform it or even disguise defects stacking. All this is quite possible, if you know what grout for tiles to choose and what to look for in the store.
№1. Basic functions and types of grouts
Grout is the same mandatory element when laying karmic tiles, like the handle on the door - without it it is absolutely impossible to dispense with, and are placed on grouting immediatelyseveral functions:
- protection of intertitic joints from moisture and dirt;
- prevention of mold development;
- strengthening masonry;
- improving the appearance of the masonry and giving it an additional decorative effect, because often successfully chosen color of the grout is able to transform the tiled area of the wall or floor.
At the moment, the most popularsuch trowelling compounds:
- cement-based- the cheapest and most popular grouting, which are easy to work with;
- based on epoxy resin- this is more durable grouting, which perfectly tolerate any negative effects, but their application requires great skill.
To trowels sometimes carrysilicone sealants, which are sometimes called even a silicone grout, although this is incorrect, if only because such compounds do not process the seams between the tiles - theydesigned to insulate tile masonryfrom a bath, a washbasin, a toilet bowl and other surrounding objects. Over time, such a sealant under the influence of moisture begins to darken and become covered with a fungus, so specialists recommend for rooms with high humidity to use instead of silicone sealant epoxy grout.
Also for grouting joints can be appliedfuran mixtures, but because of their dark, almost black, color, they are almost never used in apartments, but they found application in industrial premises.
№2. Cement trowelling: properties and applications
Prepare a cement grout and apply it to the tile seams will not even be the most experienced builder, which is the main reason for its popularity. ATcement grout compositionincludes portland cement, colored pigments, as well as various plasticizers and other additives for giving specific qualities. When water or latex is added on a water base, the powder of the grout turns into a very plastic material resembling a putty. Latex plasticizer also allows you to change the color of the grout after drying to a more saturated side.
Depending on the type of interlacing seams, slightly differentCompositions:
- for narrow jointsThicknesses up to 5 mm are used, the composition of which is indicated above;
- for wide seams(more than 5 mm) use grouting with sand, which will help to keep the composition in a given form and will not allow it to spread excessively. The wider the seam, the more large sand fractions are worth adding, but note that larger grains can cause scratching of tiles during application of grout, therefore, Caution.
Cement grouts in a wide range are presented in the store, and can be sold:
- in the form of ready-to-use grouting;
- in the form of a dry powder, which is previously diluted with water.
Main advantagefinished formulations- the ability to use them immediately after purchase and do not waste time mixing the powder with water. Sell such compounds in plastic buckets, and after opening the lid grout is best to use immediately all, otherwise it will wither.
Where more practical in use aredry powders. To get a grout, the composition must be filled with the amount of water or latex specified in the instruction, and if you need a small amount of fugue, then you can cook it without problems - the rest of the powder in a dry room can stored for a long time.
The main advantages of cement grouts:
- simplicity in preparation and use;
- good strength;
- maintainability. Over time, small cracks appear in the seams, which are filled with dirt, and it is no longer possible to clean it. In this case, the old grout is removed with a spatula or screwdriver, and the seams are rubbed again - this update will cost inexpensively.
Cons of cement grout:
- insufficient resistance to moisture;
- low resistance to household chemicals.
In view of these drawbacks in particularly wet places, it is recommended to use epoxy grout, the main competitor of cement compounds.
Go to the grouting of the joints only after the tile adhesive has completely dried. Pre-prepared mortar spatula is applied to the seams and neatly leveled and compacted. Surplus that got on the tile, you can first carefully remove the spatula, and then - a damp rag. Nothing is complicated in this process.
No. 3. Epoxy grouts: advantages and features
Partepoxy grout includes epoxy resins, modifying additives, filler (usually quartz sand of different fractions), as well as a hardener. It is indispensable in those conditions that can be a real test for cement grouting: swimming pools, baths, laboratories, a kitchen apron and other places where the tile is exposed to high humidity and can get aggressive chemical substance.
Advantages of epoxy grouting:
- the highest strength and ability to withstand the influence of any negative factors;
- durability. The color, strength and other high performance of the joints will remain unchanged for 40-50 years;
- high level of resistance to mold, fungal lesions, pollution;
- water resistance and resistance to cleaning agents;
- excellent decorative qualities. Epoxy grout can be almost any shade, and sometimes even shiny elements are added to the composition, so the seams made with such a fugue become an ornament of the tiling.
Disadvantages of epoxy grout:
- the complexity in the work, which is explained by the too viscous consistency, so even for professionals, working with similar compositions requires a decent amount of time and effort. Complicates all the fact that if you get this grout on the tile clean it will be difficult. Today, for a more accurate and simple application of epoxy grout use special bags, reminiscent of confectionery, with their help the composition is squeezed out exactly in the seam;
- high price.
№4. Color of grout for tiles
The color of the trowel for tiles is no less important than its properties, because it is not worth to guess with a touch, and you can spoil the impression of the most expensive and beautiful tile. Partcement groutingalready have to include pigment pigments, although sometimes the required color is difficult to pick up, and then The craftsmen advise adding a little color to the white mixture, which can even be used gouache. Choice of colorsepoxy groutmuch more, so finding the right shade will not be difficult. Moreover, the epoxy grout may betransparent- it will be an excellent addition to the mosaic tiles. The presence in the composition of the brilliant components for gold, silver or bronze is able to make the intertile seam very original.
As for the issue of choosing the color of the grout, then there are several basic principles:
- trowel- the simplest option, which will turn the tiled surface into a single and harmonious. A similar option for selecting shade tint will be appropriate for any tile color;
- smoothing of contrasting color.In this case, it is more difficult to find the right shade, because it will require an exceptional sense of taste. You can stop on quiet options and use a light beige grout under the brown tile, or you can go more courageously and wipe the seams of the yellow tile with a red trowel. It is important that around there were no other such bright elements, and that such a decision fits well into the interior. If the wall is thus finished, then the grout for the floor tiles should be neutral in color, so that the room does not look lurid;
- white grout - a versatile option, when you can not decide which color to choose. However, the use of white fugue is better only for the walls, because on the floor it instantly gets dirty. An alternative universal option for floor tiles is gray color or any other dark shade that will blend in with the tile.
What to do, if in the decoration used a couple of types of ceramic tiles of different colors?Select a separate grout for each not needed - it is better to choose a single option that would combined with all shades of tile, or for one color tiles would be in the tone, but for another - contrast. For example, if a dark chocolate and beige tile was used for the wall covering, then The grout can be light: it will fit both tile colors and will combine different elements between by yourself. When combining white and black tiles, the grout can be either black or white.
If you chose towhite tile, then they use either a snow-white grout or a completely contrasting hue: all light gray and beige colors will look dirty. Practical Scandinavian interiors suggest the use of a dark gray trowel together with white tiles, especially this concerns bathrooms where the white grout can quickly turn yellow, and the gray grout will remain in its original form very much long.
If the light and dark shades of the grout are equally suitable, then decide what you want to achieve: visually combine all the elements of the tile into one panel or divide them into sections. Light shades of grout serve as a combiner, dark - on the contrary, will separate.
In those cases where the tile is decoratedmulticolored ornaments, grout can be selected for any color that is used on the tile, and if the room is small, it is better to select a fugue under the lightest elements. If a multi-colored mosaic tile is chosen for wall decoration, then the grout should be better than neutral color.
Another question -How much the actual color of the grout will match the expected, as often the final result is very different from the sample presented in the store or indicated on the package. If the final shade is critically important, then you will have to go to additional costs and purchase a small packing of grout to test it on a site that will be hidden behind furniture or technique. You can judge the color after drying the grout. In those cases when the grout is already completely applied, but as a result, its shade does not meet expectations, some craftsmen recommend gently walking around the seams with a moisture-resistant paint of the required color. In order not to stain the tile, you can glue it with paint tape.
№5. Manufacturers of grout for tiles
To be sure of the quality of grouting, it is better to give preference to the products of well-known and proven manufacturers. Among the largest companies producing grout for tiles and represented on the domestic market, it is worth highlighting:
- Ceresit- Company No. 1 on the market of building materials. There is since 1898, today it is part of the Henkel concern, the products are represented practically in all countries of the world, has proved to be of the highest quality. In the range there are grouts for narrow and wide seams, hydrophobic compounds, as well as two-component, antifungal and water-repellent grouts;
- Atlas- one of the largest European companies for the production of building and finishing materials and mixtures. The company originated in Poland in 1991, and today its products are widely represented in many countries of Europe and Asia. Grouts are presented in a sufficient range, there are epoxy compositions of different colors and with the inclusion of sequins. Own development allows you to produce frost-resistant compounds, and the addition of silver ions allows you to talk about the antibacterial effect;
- MapeiIs a large Italian company that has existed since 1937 and is now actively conquering the world market. Epoxy grout companies are known under the trademarks Kerapoxy, Ultracolor Plus and have the highest quality;
- Sopro- a German company with more than a century of history. The assortment of grouts at it the highest, are present both cement, and epoksidnye structures, shades weight, there are grouts with sparkles. Separately it is necessary to allocate quick-drying compositions, and also special compositions for effective removal of the remains of epoxy fugue.
Even after you have decided which grout for the tile to choose, and what it should be a shade, do not be too lazy to read carefully on the manufacturer's packing instructions, for what size of joints a specific composition is intended and what additional properties it has. If the composition is sand, then rub the seams of marble and glazed tiles will have to be very careful not to scratch the surface.