Modern summer residents and gardeners are lost when it comes to choosing tomato varieties for their plot. Everyone is trying to get a good harvest, while not particularly wasting. Tomato Cardinal is one of the first places among the most popular varieties.
Table of contents
- Characteristics of a tomatopests
Characterization and description of a tomato Cardinal
A description that will help to learn about the main features of the plant
- The variety is self-pollinated, therefore suitable for growing both in open ground and in protected .
- The fruits have a bright pink and bright red color and a pronounced aroma and taste. Fruits are formed on the brush, on which can be placed on up to 5-7 fruits.
- The variety is able to produce several times per season. .The weight of the fruits of the first fruiting reaches 850 grams, but the subsequent yields are much less. For a season, it is possible to gather from a bush up to 4.5 kg.
- With proper planting and care, the first fruits really get at the beginning of July .Tomatoes tolerate transportation well and are stored for a long time without losing the basic properties.
- Tomato is a hybrid and is considered to be as a medium early variety( 110-120 days pass from the first shoots to the appearance of fruits).
can be placed on each variety brush. The variety has many advantages that help more and more lovers of such tomatoes to find.
. Dignity of the
variety. So why did Cardinal attract gardeners?
- The main advantage of a variety is its versatility : it is ideally suited for use both in its raw form and for any type of workpiece. Also, the Cardinal is suitable for growing in greenhouses and open ground. The planting location only affects the height of the bush itself: in the open field they can reach a maximum height of 1.5 meters, and in greenhouses - up to 2 meters.
- Fruits differ in with their special taste and juicy .
- Cardinal is very rarely affected by diseases and pests.
- After sowing, the seeds quickly germinate. There is a good quality planting material.
- The variety is resistant to bad weather conditions.
Disadvantages of the Cardinal
There are not many drawbacks and their role is not critical for growing, but rather some features.
- To achieve high yields, the bush requires timely formation.
- Since the height of the bush can reach 1.5 - 2 m. It is better to tie it up.
- The fruits of the first fruiting of are not suitable for salting in cans, whole because of its large size.
Choosing a site and soil for planting
Do not plant tomatoes in the garden, where eggplants, peas, peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes grew earlier. But at the place of growth of onions, cabbage, beans, even need to plant tomatoes.
Cardinal Tomatoes like nourishing light ground .As the soil for planting, you can use sod or garden soil mixed with humus. Adding superphosphate or wood ash will positively affect the growth and development.
Features of planting seedlings
Tomato seeds are planted in small containers, watered and covered with a film, creating a greenhouse effect. The ideal temperature for growing seedlings is 24-26 degrees .The best time to land will be March-April .
Before planting, the seeds must be decontaminated by placing them in a light solution of potassium permanganate for 25-30 minutes. After that, rinse under running water. When planting, seeds are buried by 1.5-1.7 cm.
Conditions for the care of crops
- Location and lighting .After the first sprouts appear, the boxes are taken out to the place where the sunlight will be available for the sprouts. They should not be exposed to direct sunlight. If there is no such place for seedlings in the room, you can use additional lighting.
- How to water .For irrigation and humidification of the air is better to use a spray, and not a watering can. Overabundance of moisture is not allowed, it provokes root decay. Watering is better at the beginning or end of the day. After the seedlings are first grated, it can be mulched. In the same period, transplant each sprout into a separate peat cup, with which you can plant plants directly into the ground over time.
- Should I fertilize .Top dressing is one of the important processes on which the quality of the crop and the health of the plant depend. They are especially relevant at the stage of seedling formation. To do this, use complex feeding.
- Hardening seedlings .Acclimatizing the seedlings to new temperature conditions is necessary before planting in the soil. For some time, young seedlings are taken out in a cool place, in which there is no direct sunlight and drafts.
How and when to transplant tomatoes in open ground
Planting seedlings in open ground is carried out after the threats of frost have passed( end of May - beginning of June ).The soil in which the young seedlings will be transplanted must comply with the following characteristics: always fertilized with an earthen mixture with peat and humus, it is preferable to choose an area with diffused lighting.
In order for the plants to yield a full crop, you need to adhere to the distances between them during planting. It is better not to plant their closer than 70 to 70 cm .So that they are better rooted in the new place, after planting they pour only with warm water and cover themselves with a film in order to create a greenhouse effect for a while.
Care of the variety after transplantation
Care of the tomatoes Cardinal is not difficult, but you should definitely fulfill all the conditions.
- Watering requires moderation. Waterlogging will destroy the plant. For irrigation( it is advisable to do this only under a bush) use warm and soft water .Especially in the first time after transplantation.
- Tomatoes Cardinal will not interfere with 2-3 single supplements per season with complex fertilizers.
- Tillage. The timely weeding and loosening of the soil are obligatory( at least 2 times a month).This will not only save the area from weeds, but will also control the level of heat and moisture in the soil. In the period of active growth of the bush and make hilling. The first time such procedure is carried out 3 weeks after planting, and the next - 3 weeks.
- Mulching is not a mandatory procedure, but it can relieve gardeners from several problems at once: no need for frequent loosening and weeding, the risk of disease and pests is reduced, additional protection for the roots. The procedure helps to increase the yield, saturates the soil with necessary microelements. Most often, dry mulch is used for mulching.
- Garter is obligatory for this variety , this is required by the height of the plant. Twine, tree creepers, poles or self-made rods are suitable for the garter.
- How to shape a bush? It is important to timely stew the Cardinal variety. Only the lower leaves or side shoots are cut. The tallest plants need to pinch the growth point.
The most frequent diseases and pests
The main reason for the defeat of Cardinal with diseases and pests is improper care of tomatoes. Some errors can lead to the death of the plant. As a result, fungi appear. To protect the plant from damage, young seedlings need to be treated with fungicides.
Among the pests are the most dangerous mold, spider mite, aphid. At the first attacks of pests, tomatoes are treated with high-quality insecticides.
Grade Cardinal - a crop that has become popular among gardeners because of its high yield and plant resistance. Observance of elementary rules will allow to receive tasty and juicy fruits.