Most of us, both children and adults, love a delicious, sweet, juicy watermelon, whose taste is hard to resist. Moreover, the varieties of this berry are sold at every turn at the end of the summer. Therefore, newly born women often wonder if watermelon can nursing mom? There are no specific rules about this. Doctors say that you can eat watermelon, which ripened in season, because the early fruits contain a lot of nitrates.
Useful properties of watermelon for breastfeeding
In fact, watermelon for breastfeeding is very useful. It contains a lot of vitamins that have a beneficial effect on the young mother and baby:
- Antioxidants, similar to carotene, which improve eyesight.
- Vitamins B1, B2, C, which have a beneficial effect on the body, regulating the functions of the nervous and cardiovascular systems.
- Iron, which helps increase low hemoglobin during lactation.
- Calcium, the lack of which causes hair loss in nursing mothers, brittle nails and problems with teeth.
- Trace elements that slow down the aging and development of cancer.
- Panthenolic acid, which improves intestinal motility, activates metabolic processes, helps normalize sleep and removes toxins from the body.
- Folic acid, which is prescribed by doctors during pregnancy to expectant mothers. It contributes to the normalization of digestive processes, the production of breast milk, the development of the immune and circulatory system of the child, as well as the regeneration of the skin.
Due to the diuretic action of watermelons help eliminate excess salts and toxins from the body.
In addition, watermelon has a low calorie content.100 g of the fruit contains only 25 calories, which is equivalent to birch or carrot juice. Therefore, the use of this product will help nursing mothers get rid of extra pounds.
Danger of watermelon during lactation
However, drinking watermelon during lactation may have some troubles:
- It can cause allergies, although this happens far from everyone.
- It is not recommended to combine watermelon with other foods, as it can cause increased gas formation in mom and baby.
- In order to accelerate the ripening of watermelons, nitrates are often used, so it is advisable not to risk buying early varieties. Watermelons are best consumed during the high season, when the probability of nitrate poisoning is significantly reduced.
- Poor transportation and storage of watermelon can cause an infection on its peel, which easily penetrates when damaged.
How to choose the right watermelon?
Doctors say that watermelons should not be consumed in the first 2 months after giving birth, and you need to be careful with them in the future. There is a possibility of poisoning and allergic reactions. This is especially dangerous for children of the first year of life. To avoid this, you must carefully select the product, and it is recommended to buy it at the end of August. The young mother needs a ripe watermelon, so you need to check it well.
When purchasing a watermelon( only during mass ripening) you need to pay attention to the following nuances:
- watermelon tail must be dry;
- must have a yellow-white or yellow speck on the side, which indicates that it has ripened on the ground;
- when squeezing watermelon should be issued a small characteristic crackling, which also indicates its ripeness.
These parameters indicate the ripeness of the watermelon. However, this does not guarantee the good quality of the purchase. Therefore, it is recommended to carry out the acquired nitrate test for watermelon. To test a small piece of pulp is placed in a transparent container with water and watch for its color. If the water becomes cloudy, becomes pink, or turns into a liquid resembling milk, then such watermelon must be discarded.
It is not recommended to buy a watermelon, which is sold near highways, cracked or cut into halves and quarters in stores. The same goes for soft watermelons that don't look usable.
How to eat a watermelon?
First of all, the watermelon must be thoroughly washed before use. The quality of the product can be first checked on the father, and if everything is good, then you can eat and mom. How to eat a watermelon? First you need to eat a small piece, and see how it affects the child. If during the day the baby feels great, then you can increase the size of the piece.
- It is not recommended to finish yesterday's watermelon, even if it was in the refrigerator.
- It is not advisable to introduce into the diet 2 new products at the same time, first you need to deal with one.
- If you wish to eat watermelon with bread, it is worth choosing wheat varieties, they represent a lower probability of stomach upset in a child.
If you are breastfeeding, this is not a reason to refuse most products, especially vegetables and fruits. Watermelon contains a lot of vitamins, so it is recommended for both adults and children, both pregnant and lactating. Diversify your diet with vegetables, berries and fruits grown at the dacha. Use beets, carrots, apples, raspberries, strawberries, but in small quantities.
Do you still have a question, is it possible to eat a watermelon when breastfeeding? Of course, it is possible, it is important only to comply with the measure, monitor the reaction of your baby and choose the right watermelon so that it brings only benefit.