The cabbage agrotechnology differs little from the rules of growing other vegetable crops, but getting a good crop of heads with healthy leaves is not easy. The plant is literally attacked by various pests and diseases, including such as: kila, powdery mildew, late blight, peronosporosis, and many others, which is explained by its moisture and thermophilia. How to deal with them to protect the plant from death and grow a good harvest, you will learn from the article.
- most common disease of cabbage
- Kila cabbage what to do to protect the plant
- Prevention Alternaria
- White rust
- The process against powdery mildew
- Preparations against Rhizoctonia
- How to save the seedlings from the black legs
- spots on the leaves or Fusarium wilt
- How to fight against bacteriosis
- Insect pests of cabbage in the open ground
- How to get rid of cabbage
- flies Fight against babanuha
- How to protect the cabbage from the whitefly
- How to combat whitefin
- Protecting cabbage from diseases and pests
The most common diseases of cabbage
The article deals with diseases that affect cabbage beds. After reviewing the characteristic signs and methods of treatment, the gardener can, if necessary, quickly localize the problem and prevent the virus or infection from spreading to other plants. Each disease is dangerous in its own way, so do not delay with the treatment. Otherwise, you can not only receive less harvest, but also lose it completely.
Quila cabbage what to do to protect the plant
The disease is also known as root cancer. The first signs of the disease appear on fading leaves, which become yellowish. But the biggest changes occur in the root system, which is found only after digging out a bush. On the stems, growths are formed, and the impression is externally that the roots are bloated. The danger of the keel is incurability and saving the affected plant is no longer possible, it should be removed from the garden bed and disposed of, and the soil should be treated with bordeaux liquid for disinfection.
The cause of the development of root cancer is a fungus that actively develops in a humid environment. Cabbage needs moisture, but watering rates should be carefully monitored to prevent stagnant water in the soil.
As a preventive measure, it is necessary to enrich the soil with calcium-containing fertilizers, colloidal sulfur, and wood ash.
Prevention of Alternaria
The disease affects the seedlings and adult culture, manifested in the form of necrotic strips and black spots that may appear on cotyledons and subfamily knees. On the formed head, the spots densely cover the outer leaves, on which one can find soot, indicating the sporulation of the fungus.
When detecting Alternaria, colloidal sulfur and other sulfur and copper-containing agents are used. As a preventive measure, the rules of crop rotation are observed, seeds are disinfected before planting with a planriz, TMTD.
High humidity and low temperature may cause the disease to develop. When mushrooms ripen, a white powder appears on the outer leaves of the cabbage. At revealing it is necessary to carry out spraying by the preparation Ridomil Gold.
How to process against powdery mildew
It is possible to recognize the disease on a white scale on the leaves of cabbage, which eventually turns light brown. Affected foliage deforms and dries. Infected plant is stunted. Some types of cabbage may deteriorate the taste( for example, Beijing and white).
In order to prevent the development of powdery mildew in the fall, all plant residues are carefully removed from the beds, and land digging is planned closer to frosts, so that harmful microorganisms die. In the case of a massive defeat of cabbage, they are treated with special preparations: Bayleton, Kvadris, Tilt, Topaz, Fundazim, Fundazol.
Another more well-known disease name is downy mildew. The causative agent, the parasitic fungus Peronospora brassicae Guum, enters the active phase of development in high humidity and warm weather. The disease can affect even seedlings. Characteristic features are gray and yellow spots on the leaves, whitish on the back side. Over time, the leaves completely dry and crumble. You can notice the problem also by the weak development of the shoot.
To protect the crop from death, it is necessary to treat the beds using special preparations: Ridomil Gold, Fitoftorin. At the initial stage of the development of downy mildew, it is possible to spray the culture with Bordeaux liquid, repeating the procedure after 10 days.
Preparations against rhizoctoniosis
You can determine the disease by the rapid thinning of the root neck and darkening. Infection prone to young shoots and adult plants. Even on the harvest, mushrooms continue to grow, which is manifested on breaking sheets and signs of rot.
If symptoms are detected, the plant should be sprayed with Fitolavin-300.It is necessary to prepare the solution taking into account the growing season( the bigger it is, the higher the concentration of the product).
The disease is characterized by rapid development, the affected areas on the stem quickly spread to the leaves. A characteristic sign - brown spots, rapidly increasing in size.
How to save seedlings from black leg
Fungal disease, the cause of which is the high level of soil moisture and poor air circulation. Manifested on the stem near the root zone in the form of blackening and thinning of the neck. At the start-up stage, the stem part of the bush completely rot, the focus of damage extends to the whole plant.
Before planting, seeds are treated with granozan( per 100 g. Seeds, 0.4 g. Funds). The soil is also decontaminated with a special preparation TMTD( 50%) at the rate of 50 grams.on 1 m2.
When detecting signs of black leg on cabbage seedlings, it is recommended to water the bushes with a weak solution of potassium permanganate( 0.5 g of potassium permanganate per 1 l of water).
Spots on leaves or fusarium wilt
A fairly common fungal disease that affects almost all cruciferous crops. Fusarium can be identified by the following features:
- yellow spots on the leaves, their drying out and dying off;
- small head of the head, which is formed with various deformations.
Initially, the plant becomes sluggish, the leaves turn pale noticeably.
How to deal with bacteriosis
There are two types of bacteriosis: mucous and vascular. In the first case, the disease can occur in two variants, which differ in the initial zone of damage( decay begins from the stalk or from the leaves).
Signs of mucosal bacteriosis:
- rot smell;
- brown spots appear on the surface of leaves;
- primary signs can be found in the stalk.
The disease is transmitted from insects or through plant debris. The soil is not infected.
Vascular bacteriosis is recognized by the yellowing of the edges of the leaves, forming a black grid. Cabbage tastes change, shelf life is significantly reduced.
It is possible to prevent the development of bacteriosis by treating the seeds before planting TMTD, following the rules of agricultural engineering and crop rotation, and thoroughly cleaning the beds at the end of the season.
Insect pests of cabbage in open ground
Wet environment and the ability to hide between the sheets of the forming head attracts insects, including many pests. In just a few days, parasites can spoil the presentation of the crop, or even deprive it. To solve the problem will help timely prevention and quick processing.
How to get rid of cabbage fly
The pest outwardly practically does not differ from an ordinary fly. The danger is not the insect itself, but the larvae that the adults lay in warm soil. As food parasites choose young shoots, or rather their root system. The eaten shrub becomes stunted, easily removed from the soil due to the eaten up roots. Lower leaves change color to gray lead.
When a pest is detected, it is necessary to treat the beds with Thiofos or Chlorophos. Drugs are diluted with water to the concentration indicated on the label. When spraying it is necessary to comply with the norms of the working solution per plant.
Voracious leaf beetle, activated in early June. It is easy to recognize an insect - it is a black beetle with a green tint. His paws are brown. Overwinters in the soil along with plant debris.
- glue traps;
- manual collection of bugs;
- dusting a bed of wood ash;
- treatment with insecticides.
How to save cabbage from the whitefly
It is easy to recognize an insect - it is a small butterfly with white wings. The culture is eaten by both adults and larvae.
- glue traps;
- spraying garlic solution;
- dandelion tincture treatment;
- use of special preparations( Aktara, Fitoverm, Aktellik, Konfidor).
Methods of dealing with whitetail
In fact, the insect is a large moth. It is activated during the daytime when it lays eggs on cabbage leaves( up to 100 pieces at a time).After about a week and a half, caterpillars are obtained from eggs, which gnaw a vegetable in a matter of days.
- treatment of cabbage with calcium arsenate( 1.2 g per 10 m2);
- spraying of flower beds with chlorophos( 65%);
- spraying with endobacterin( concentration 0.1-0.4%).
A small butterfly with brown wings is activated in early June. Caterpillars tolerate wintering in the soil, so gardeners recommend digging up the ground in late autumn. Pests deprived of shelter will freeze out during the first frost.
Ognevka lays eggs in cabbage, of which caterpillars appear en masse after a few days. Due to the excellent appetite, they intensively damage cabbage leaves, even internal ones.
- drug treatment( bitoxibacillin 1%, homelin 0.5%, dendrobacillin 0.1%);
- spraying the culture with an ambush, bolofos, rovicurt and other means.
Protecting cabbage from diseases and pests
Prevent the development of plant diseases and pest invasion can be primarily preventive measures. The basic rules for the protection of cabbage consist of the following items:
- seeds for planting would have to be selected in specialized stores or nurseries;
- , before sowing, planting material must undergo disinfection( by soaking in a weak solution of potassium permanganate);
- is prepared for gardening since the fall( it is thoroughly cleaned of plant residues and dug up with simultaneous input of fertilizers);
- , before planting, the soil must be disinfected( by watering with hot water, a solution of potassium permanganate or copper sulphate);
- timely fertilization will provide young shoots with nutrients that will strengthen their immunity and resistance to diseases;
- soil should be not only fertile, but also loose, so that water does not stagnate in it( this will prevent fungal diseases);
- when detecting signs of disease, it is necessary to remove the diseased part of the plant or the entire bush, so that microorganisms do not spread throughout the bed;
- during planting and after it should observe the temperature and watering norms;
- , if the culture is cultivated in a greenhouse, the surfaces of the structure should be disinfected at least 2 times a year, the soil is periodically replaced with a new fertile layer( after infection of the cabbage, the soil is completely replaced).
- For the prevention of diseases, the following means are used:
Chemical substances are used only for extensive damage to plants. When choosing a tool, preference should be given to options developed on biological substances.
- spraying with ash solution, infusion of pharmaceutical chamomile, onion peel, decoction of tomato tops, wormwood and other plants;
- dusting with wood ash, crushed chalk, lime;
- treatment of beds with Bordeaux mixture, solution of colloidal sulfur, preparations of Hom, Energen, Fitoflavin, etc.
Cabbage is an incredibly healthy and tasty vegetable. To get a good, and most importantly, a healthy harvest, it is worth spending time and effort, then in winter the body will not suffer from a deficiency of vitamins and microelements.