Content of the article:
Which of us is indifferent to indifference to fragrant and juicy strawberries? Such people are probably few. From these berries make all sorts of desserts, jams, jellies, compotes, include them in salads and cocktails. That is why a lot of strawberries just do not happen. For this reason, the most popular and strawberry Gigantella, which in its size fully corresponds to the name.
Description of the strawberry variety Gigantella
The main characteristic feature of the berries of this variety is their size and, accordingly, weight( it reaches 100 grams).Gigantella is bred by breeding, it is easy to recognize it by the following features:
- the pulp of the berries is juicy and dense;
- taste rich, sweet, with a light, barely perceptible, sour;
- time of ripening berries - the end of May - the beginning of June( and the first flowers can be seen in the first days of May);
- fruit shape is correct, irregularities, as a rule, are absent;
- This variety loves moisture, and therefore requires frequent watering;
- is characterized by excellent transportability - this means that when transporting strawberry berries, the gigantella will not suffer and will retain their original appearance;
- variety is quite resistant to various kinds of diseases, and is characterized by significant frost resistance.
Main features of strawberry care Gigantella
In order for Gigantella to perfectly bear fruit, it is first necessary to choose the right soil. It must be loamy and have a neutral acidity. Since Gigantella bushes are large and tend to grow, you should not plant more than four for a bed the size of one square meter. Also, when planting strawberry seedlings, Gigantella should prefer a sunny glade. Under this condition, the berries ripen very quickly.
At the initial stage, potash and, less commonly, phosphate fertilizers are used as a rule. The use of nitrogenous fertilizers is not allowed. In the second year of fruiting, ammonium nitrate is recommended. After fertilizer application to the soil, irrigate the soil systematically.
Now consider how to properly care for Gigantella:
- In early spring( as soon as the last snow melted) it is necessary to carefully treat the bushes: first, dry leaves are removed, and then straw, onion peels and needles are laid out around the bushes.
- Produce additional fertilizer fertilizer( no more than two times during the season).
- To make strawberries better fruit, you must constantly remove the antennae, which negatively affect the fertility of the bush.
- Gigantella should also be treated with specialized pest control products.
- Every year it is recommended to apply compost to the soil.
It is necessary to pick strawberries as they mature. With abundant watering you need to make sure that the berries do not start to rot. In this case, reduce the frequency of watering. Berries that rot, or on the surface of which damage occurs( as a rule, as a result of a plant disease) should be removed immediately, since there is a risk of infection of neighboring bushes.
For the winter period, gardeners do not advise cutting the leaves of strawberries Gigantella too much.
Ignoring this recommendation, you can lose the plant. The fact is that additional leaves protect it during the period of strong frosts, preventing death due to low temperatures.
The average period during which strawberries of this variety bear fruit is eight years. But, if you notice that some bushes are gone, or they have become worse than fruits, you need to update the planting. This is usually done three to four years after the start of fruiting Gigantella.
Some gardeners note that strawberry whiskers can not be removed. In this case, after some time they take root and do not multiply further. Thus, the beds form a kind of "carpet" that allows you to retain moisture in the root zone.
Strawberry Gigantella seeds: is it possible to grow full-fledged berries?
This question is very controversial, and it is simply impossible to give a definite answer. If you try to collect seeds from ripe berries at home, then most likely you will not be able to grow large berries.
But if you buy the seeds of strawberry Gigantella in a specialized store, then there is still hope for a full harvest. But this way of growing strawberries does not always meet the expectations of gardeners, so for those who are not accustomed to taking risks, it will be better to purchase seedlings and plant them annually, increasing the strawberry plantations.
Many amateur gardeners note that often when planting strawberries Gigantella seeds, the fruits are small, which, in turn, does not correspond to the basic characteristics of the variety.