One of the available and nutritious fertilizers that compensate for the deficiency of valuable trace elements with the restoration of the soil structure is compost. It can be purchased in finished form or procure directly on the site independently, equipping the pit in a convenient way. About how to make a garden compost pit with his own hands and options for its production, we will discuss later.
Table of Contents
- Objectives of a garden compost pit at the cottage
- Benefits of a custom-made countertops at a cottage
- What better to build for a compost
- How to make a compost hole with your own hands
- Technology, how to make a composter at a cottage
- D, how to create a compost hole, for a reason, to create a compost hole;at the cottage
In any farm there is organic waste:
- vegetable and fruit peeling;
- dry grass;
- trimmed branches;
- tops of garden crops;
- paper, shreds of fabrics( natural);
- bird droppings and manure, etc.
Filling them with a specially equipped place, you can after some time get a nutritious mix for the garden and the vegetable garden.The soil after the introduction of organic matter is not only enriched with valuable substances, but also improves the microbiological environment, it becomes loose, to which almost all crops grown in the country give a positive response.
For any summer resident compost is considered the first assistant. First, there is no need to store and export household and vegetable waste from the yard. Secondly, it is not necessary to spend money on the purchase of finished organic fertilizer.
The presence of a compost pit facilitates the process of utilization of the tops after harvesting the beds. Previously, plant debris just burned. Now, many are harvesting nutrient mixtures from it, which in the spring are scattered around the garden and garden.The fermentation process takes about 8 months, so it is recommended that 2-3 compost pits should be installed on the site at once.
Benefits of a compost pit at a cottage
A compost pit at a cottage solves the following problems:
- provides partial recycling of organic waste;
- when applied to the soil fertilizer retains moisture , thereby creating favorable conditions for the growing season;
- if to do the laying in the pit according to the rules, then the plants and the soil will not be exposed to infection with various diseases, in contrast to the acquired nutrient mixtures;
- to equip a hole is quite simple, because all the materials are at hand;
- If you adhere to the manufacturing technology of a compost pit, an unpleasant smell will not spread throughout the site.
Ways to organize a place for the production of compost set. As an option, make it yourself or buy a special composter. The main advantage of the container under the organics is a more aesthetic appearance, which is lacking in the usual pit.
In addition, odor problems disappear even at the initial stage of fermentation of the embedded layers. Mobile and compact design can be periodically rearranged to another corner of the yard, paint the surface with bright colors, decorating an additional area. Composting the box is very simple, the necessary materials will always be in the country.
It can be both wooden boards and slate. The main thing in assembly to comply with the requirements for the composter.
What is better to build for compost
Many wonder about how best to arrange a place for composting. On the one hand, knocking a simple construction out of scrap materials presents no difficulty.
But even this primitive process has some peculiarities, while ignoring which, one cannot get high-quality fertilizers. And sometimes homemade mix called nutritional difficult. On the other hand, it will be possible to avoid mistakes in the design and assembly of the structure if you purchase a ready-made composter. However, this solution also has a second side of the coin - an additional item of expenditure.
Therefore, it can be stated unequivocally that any way of arranging a composter object has its advantages and disadvantages. In addition, there are a lot of different technologies for construction. For example, as an option, Finnish. When instead of constructing a wooden pit box.
You can evaluate the pros and cons of the pit and the composter using this table.
Komposternaya pit Composter Benefits Disadvantages Benefits Disadvantages simple installation at a construction pit need to strictly observe the rules of stacking layers compact design does not spoil the appearance of the yard dearness possible to use different materials decomposition process occurs only in the warm time of the year can be moved to any corner of the plot( mobility) needs a careful approach to choosing a composter( it takes into accountrationality and durability of the material) minimum construction costs( or lack thereof) unhindered penetration of rodents and other pests convenient design, giving access to all parts of the filler, there are no special requirements for choosing a place( only the shader, not the 9).section no unpleasant smell in the pit eliminates drying out of the bookmark fragility insulation provides a continuous processazlozheniya
components How to make a compost pit with his hands
compost pit can build by digging the pit recessed into the soil to 80-1,2 m. Such a method is simple, but it has more disadvantages. It is inconvenient to maintain the pit, it will be necessary to stir the filler periodically, and this will be difficult to do. The fact is known that the lower layer decomposes faster in the pit. It is very difficult to get it from the bottom, so limiters about 50-80 cm in height are more often installed above the ground. The boards can serve as boards, mesh chain-link, slate, shields and other materials. And in this case it will be necessary to deepen only by 30-60 cm.When making the layout on the site, it should be taken into account that the height of the pit should be between 1-1.2 m, and the width of the sides should not exceed 1.5 m.large parameters, the nutrient mixture does not ripen due to lack of oxygen and impaired air circulation.
The sequence for the manufacture of a compost pit that has been dug into the ground by a third:
Fertilizer in a compost pit matures for about 6-8 months. The first is the bottom layer. You can speed up the process by using special additives that intensively decompose the bookmark.
- Clear the space for the object and mark the peaks of the sides with pegs.
- Dig a ditch of 40 cm in depth according to intended size.
- Knock out a box from 4 bars and planks, leaving gaps( 2 cm) between the boards to ensure air circulation. On the lower part of the structure there should be supports of 50-70 cm( they are immersed in the ground when installed).
- Install the box in the prepared pit.
- cover with a spruce, straw or small branches of a 10 cm layer of the notch.
- Further layers must alternate between dry and wet bookmarks. To speed up the decomposition process, it is recommended to shift each layer with nitrogenous additives( manure, green grass, bird droppings, etc.).
- Fill the upper part with fertile soil( thickness of 15-20 cm).
- To save heat, it is recommended to cover the box with film. Periodically it needs to be opened for airing.
- As a catalyst, it is possible to pour components with a hot solution of manure or bird droppings.
- The contents of the pit should be stirred 1-2 times per month. If steady heat is established, the maturing compost is watered.
Technology how to make a composter at the cottage
A plastic barrel can be used to make a homemade composter. The advantage of the device is that the aging time of fertilizer is reduced to 4-8 weeks.
To build the structure, the following materials will be needed:
- polymer barrel with a lid with a capacity of 150-200 ml;
- latches( 4 pcs.);
- bolts with washers and nuts;
- galvanized pipe or thick metal rod( this element will need to twist the tank, so it must be durable).
cottage composter Sequence of mounting the composter:
- Knock frame off the boards( the design is side X-shaped elements connected from two lower sides with contours, dimensions are taken according to the barrel height).The thickness of the tree should be taken taking into account the weight of the full capacity.
- Cover the barrel with an and drill a through hole in the bottom and top. The diameter of the hole must match the parameters of the pipe or rod. The axle will subsequently rest on the frame.
- In the side of the container, cut the door and fix it on the hinges. On three sides, fasten the latches. From improvised means make the handle.
- Through the entire surface of the barrel, make through holes to ensure air circulation.
- In several places, drive long nails , which will serve as dividers. Instead of nails, you can use studs, tightening them with bolts.
- Thread the axis( pipe) through the center hole and fix the protruding ends on the frame.
The ability to rotate the structure allows you to easily and simply carry out the mixing of the filler, which must be done 1 time in 5-7 days.
What can not be loaded into a pit or composter
The term organic waste does not mean all accumulated garbage, but certain components that, together and in the right proportion, enter into the fermentation process, transforming thanks to microorganisms into a nutrient product for soil and plants.Compost made from forbidden ingredients will be a hazard to the beds.
What should not be put into the compost pit:
- weed - it contains toxins and poisons, as well as seeds, which, under favorable conditions, will germinate;
- citrus peel - the content of essential oils in the cleanings drives away worms and other underground inhabitants involved in the fermentation process;
- tops of diseased crops - spores and pathogenic bacteria do not die when plant debris decomposes, so improper compost contributes to the infection of soil and plants after application to the site;
- small potatoes - soil and crops will not be harmed by it, but it will grow on the heap;
- vegetable and fruit residues that have undergone heat treatment - the vitamin composition of such components is very scarce;
- fallen apples or plums affected by diseases;
- spoiled bakery products - when spoiling the bread becomes covered with mold or fungus, further spores affect young shoots;
- of insects collected from the beds - their larvae have good vitality, after entering the soil they will begin to actively develop;
- bones( fish and other pets) - they rot for a long time, so the site will be just clogged in a few years.
The rules for making compost are simple, they must be taken into account when organizing a heap or a composter for fertilizer. It is worth remembering that the aim is to obtain a nutrient mixture, which contributes to the rapid growth of seedlings and abundant fruiting.