Contents of the article:
Growing strawberries can be made simple, you can take a simple message..After all, the goal of any gardener is to get the most out of planting, which means to achieve high yield of bushes and grow berries, which should be large, sweet and juicy. To do this, we need some knowledge of growing strawberries, not only from seedlings, but also from seeds, which online stores around the world offer. Growing strawberries at home on the balcony in special pots or on vertical surfaces is becoming more and more popular.
Plant life cycle and material selection
Successful strawberry growing is possible if you understand the plant life cycle. Like most hardy perennials, strawberries die off in the winter and begin to grow vigorously as the sun warms the spring soil. Strawberries need at least 8 hours of full sun daily. The most favorable areas with slightly acidic soil, the pH of which ranges between 5.5 and 6.8.
Before choosing a variety for planting, determine what requirements you place on a plant. There are two main types of strawberries, namely fruit-bearing in summer and year-round. Summer varieties may be early, middle and late, which bear fruit towards the end of summer. In any case, when buying and choosing seedlings, consult with the seller in the garden center, who will help with advice.
To buy seedlings of strawberry bushes should be immediately before planting.
No matter whether you grow strawberries in pots or in the open field, young plants should not be kept unnecessarily for a long time, but they should be planted as soon as possible so that they retain enough energy for growth and rooting during planting. When choosing a plant, carefully inspect the bushes. The leaves should have a bright green color without brown and yellowish spots, the edges of the leaf should not be dry, and the plant wilted. The roots are moist, well developed.
You have determined where the bushes will be planted and the soil must be prepared in advance. Growing strawberries in boxes is convenient for some reason, they are easy to move around and there is the possibility of keeping plants indoors if the need arises.
- Strawberry bush develops from the crown or socket. When planting pay special attention to its penetration, it should be located just above the level of the soil.
Reproduction of bushes produced by growing sockets on the mustache uterine bushes. The closer it is to the maternal shrub, the stronger and more qualitative the young plant will be. Allow a maximum of three sockets on one shoot to get good material for planting. Each new bush should be deepened and not to forget to moisten the soil for the growth of the root system.
- Seeds are rather unusual. Unlike many fruits, they are on the outside of the berry. If you have to grow strawberries from seeds, know that it is much more complicated and you will see fruits a year later than when planting seedlings.
Choosing a place and time
Depending on the type of seedlings will depend on the time of planting. Most of the plants are planted closer to the end of summer, the repair shop - in the fall, which makes it possible for the seedlings to get used to the new site and create a healthy root system.
The area for strawberry bushes should be warm and sunny, protected from the winds. The plant loves the direct rays of light, poorly developed in the shadeYou will not be able to get a good harvest if the strawberries will not get enough sun.
Low acid soil, sandy and loamy soil is suitable for planting. But under any conditions, additional enrichment with compost will be required, and if the soil is acidic, application of dolomite flour. Be sure to remove the weeds and enrich the earth with oxygen.
Before planting young bushes from containers, place the root ball in the water for about an hour. This will ease the shock of the plant from moving from the pot to the ground and the roots will be well hydrated. Plant a strawberry bush in the ground, leaving a crown on the surface above the soil line. We compact the ground around the bush with our hands. The distance between the bushes is at least 35–40 cm, this will allow you to get a lush bush and high yields. Under the bushes it is necessary to decompose the straw or dry grass, which will prevent the fruits from rotting from contact with the ground.
Humidification of the soil should be regular, do not let the earth clot dry out and avoid mud puddles. Optimally watering should be done if the topsoil is dried up to 1 cm deep. Water should fall under the bush, and not on the berries, in order to avoid rotting of the fruit.
Water-soluble fertilizers with high nitrogen content will promote the growth of leaves and root system, rather than focus on the formation of fruits.
Important! Remove the first flowers that appear on the plant. So you give the bush a chance to grow more energetic and develop the root. Leave the following flowers.
Mustache removed during flowering and ripening berries. They deplete a strawberry bush and deprive it of nutrients.
Strawberry is quite a hardy plant and continues to produce berries year after year. At least in 3-4 years the bushes should be completely replaced. If there are problems with the development of plants, infection and viruses, then strawberries are completely replaced by young bushes earlier, not waiting for the deadline.
How to plant strawberries in a pot
The plant has small roots, so it feels good in small pots and containers. This is very convenient, because you can place strawberry bushes on the terrace or balcony. Growing strawberries at home allows you to plant seedlings in a pot at any time of the year, but spring is the best time.
- Select a pot with a drain hole and fill the bottom with broken tiles, expanded clay or pebbles.
- The diameter of the pot must be at least 18 cm. We fill it with two-thirds of the earth. Strawberry feels good in the soil mixture at its pH of 5.3-6.5.
- Spill water until it begins to flow out of the bottom of the pot.
- Gently lift the strawberry bush from the temporary container, carefully shake off the excess ground and separate the roots with your fingers.
- Place the bushes in the water so that the plant is saturated with water. Leave for at least an hour.
- Spread the roots on the surface of the earth in a pot in different directions from the socket of the bush.
- Sprinkle with earth to the outlet level and compact.
- Water it abundantly with water, where failures have formed we pour the earth.
- Now you can place the pot in a sunny position on the balcony.
Vertical cultivation of strawberries allows you to increase the number of bushes per square meter.square meter. This is especially convenient in small areas or terraces. For this purpose, special containers or self-made devices are suitable. For these purposes, fit a wide pipe in which the holes are cut. The principle of planting strawberries is the same as in the pot.
How to get strawberry seedlings from
- seeds Fill the container with earth and pour water thoroughly.
- With a finger, make a dimple of about 6 mm with an interval of 15 cm.
- In each well, put 3 seeds in tweezers.
- Sprinkle with earth and compact a little, but do not press hard to make it easier for the plant to exit.
- Cover with a wrap a container and place in a sunny place. Periodically water, but do not flood the plants.
- As soon as sprouts appear, peel off the film. Watch out for the humidity of the earth.
cottages to grow strawberriesBecause how carefully you treat your plants will depend on the quality of fruits, their size and taste.