Content of the article:
The Queen of the Garden is deservedly considered a rose. But, definitely, petunia is her first vice maid of honor! One of the most interesting types of petunia is ampelous petunia, which has elegant, elongated, hanging shoots with extravagant flowers. It is impossible to overestimate the uniqueness and beauty of ampelous petunia. Once seeing a gently waving waterfall of bright garlands of flowers, it is impossible to forget about this spectacle. Ampel petunia combines such remarkable qualities as simple unpretentiousness and exquisite beauty.
Considering the peculiarity of ampelous petunia, it is usually grown on balconies, used for vertical gardening of a flower garden, when decorating terraces of cafes and restaurants. Organel and elegant looks amulet petunia in the Alpine hills, where growing on the ground with its long trunks, with a huge number of flowers, perfectly emphasizes the beauty of other plants and attracts attention.
The best varieties of petunia ampelous
A variety of varieties of ampelous petunia can satisfy the taste of anyone, even the most fastidious grower. Varieties of ampelous petunias are quite diverse. Let us dwell on some of them:
- "The Snow Queen", a hybrid of .The beauty of snow-white frothy flowers with a unique aroma captivates and creates a feeling of lightness and purity. Stems reach 80 cm in length.
- Diamond Pearly Shedes .Pale pink color of the flowers fills the surroundings with freshness and elegance. The length of the stems is 100 cm.
- Petunia ampelous "Explorer" .One of the most common types. It has a large range of colors. The length of the shoots reaches record sizes up to 1.5 m. The strong structure of the shoots allows you to carry strong gusts of wind. Flowers are large, have an unusual wax structure that protects from rain.
- Salmon Shedes Velvet .Possesses apricot color very rare, unusual for petunias. New variety bred by Czech breeders.
- Easy Wave Red .The length of the stems is 80-100 cm. Bright red buds on the green shoots create the charm of the holiday and raise the spirits.
- Petunia Ampelnaya "Catherine", a hybrid of .Flowers of rich salmon color with streaks up to 6 cm in diameter. A cascade of magical bright colors creates unique comfort and coziness.
- Petunia "Svetlana" .The variety of petunia is ampelous with elegant, up to 1 m long, lush, branched stems. The leaves on the average length of the stalks are arranged in a regular manner. The flowers are wavy, have the shape of a funnel, with a diameter of 5-5.5 cm, with bright pink veins.
- Masha .Ampel varieties with stems up to 80 cm long, which hang down densely branched stems. Leaflets on the petioles of medium length, arranged in a regular manner. It has funnel-shaped flowers, with a diameter of 6-7 cm, bright pink with a light yellow center.
- Ramblin Neon Rose - a real beauty, the owner of very spectacular large-flowered forms. The peculiarity of the variety is that it rises up only 35 cm, but extends to the sides almost a meter, falling in a powerful cascade.
- "Black Velvet" - a fantastic hybrid, amazing imagination! Black flowers of a velvety shade, up to 8 cm in diameter, are thickly covered with a strongly bushy bush, 25-35 cm high. The mysteriously elegant and mysterious petunia is also unusually beautiful in combination with other varieties of ampelous petunia.
Having familiarized with some varieties of ampelous petunias, for those who are eager to become the owner of such beauty, they can buy a flower in the store, but you can work a little and grow yourself.
For the cultivation of ampelous petunia, it is necessary to immediately consider that this is a light-loving plant. It is recommended to grow it on the windowsill, facing south. If this is not possible, then it is necessary to provide additional lighting from 14 to 20 hours per day.
Amppelnaya petunia is grown from seed, moreover, of good quality. The best are the seeds of Western manufacturers, the quality of which is time-tested. Choosing the most suitable variety, start planting
, and by the summer she should be happy with full-blown buds, planting should start very early, preferably in February. This type of plant for germination prefers sandy, loamy soil, and for better flowering it needs to provide nutritious, loose soil.
How to grow ampelous petunia from seeds?
In order to properly sow the seeds of ampelous petunia, you need to adhere to several principles:
- prepare the container in which we plan to plant the seeds;
- to heat the prepared soil in the pan or in the oven;
- pour soil into the container and spill with a strong solution of potassium permanganate;
- wait some time for the ground to dry out a bit;
- gently spread the seeds on the surface of the soil, not sprinkling on top;
- should cover the container with glass and put in a dark, warm place;
- at emergence of shoots, you can remove the cover and determine the capacity with shoots in a well-lit place;
- is watered regularly as the soil dries;
- mineral fertilizers with a high nitrogen content are applied twice a month. This procedure is necessary to ensure abundant flowering;
- can be transplanted ready-made seedlings already in May, as soon as the threat of frost disappears.
With the further care of the ampel petunia, special attention should be paid to tender sprouts in the first month. During this period, seedlings are particularly susceptible to the disease called "black leg".
"Black Leg" is a type of fungal disease that affects young shoots. Only having turned their eyes, they begin to rot at the very surface, fall and dry. To avoid this, watering with a weak solution of potassium permanganate is necessary.
To create a lush flower shape, the ground in a pot should be poured flush with the edges of the pot, which will prevent further damage to hanging branches.
During the growth of ampelous petunia, it is advisable to pinch the shoots. This procedure contributes to the germination of new shoots, which gives the plant pomp and decoration.