for storing Video for preparing gladiolus bulbs for plantingWith its bright beautiful buds, he decorates the garden from mid-July to August. The size and number of flowers directly depends on the quality of preparation and germination of corms. Therefore, any gardener should know when to get gladioli for germination from the refrigerator, how to germinate them correctly.
The ground temperature is a determining condition for planting sprouted bulbs. It should be 8-10 degrees. Such warming up of the earth in different regions is reached approximately in April-May. Therefore, it is necessary to start germinating gladioli in the spring, when 15-20 days remain until the soil temperature is reached. Overflowed bulbs need such time to gain strength and give new sprouts.
The germination time in young and adult onions may vary due to the different rate of biochemical processes in them.
For this reason, babies should be taken out of the refrigerator earlier, adult bulbs a little later.
Preparation of gladioli after resting
When it is time to get gladioli after winter storage, you need to perform a number of operations:
- Careful inspection. This stage includes the release of overwintered corms from dry husk. The procedure is necessary to discard sick, shrunken or softened heads. Dried scales can also interfere with the penetration of the young sprout.
- Not all sick gladioli should be thrown away immediately. If the lesions on the bulb are minor, you can remove them with a sharp object. The cut should be treated with antiseptic zelenko, iodine and sprinkle with crushed coal.
- Aging in solutions of antibacterial substances. The procedure is necessary for additional disinfection from pests, strengthening the root system, saturating the bulbs with moisture. The holding time is several hours. Use such substances as potassium permanganate, boric acid, karbofos. Having worried about how to prepare gladiolus bulbs for planting in spring, you will certainly get larger and more abundant flowers.
Read also: Elegant handsome plectrantus: common types for home cultivation
Experts use this recipe. In a liter of warm water, a mixture of 0.3 g of vitriol, 0.2 g of boric acid and potassium permanganate, 0.1 g of cobalt nitrate should be diluted. Bulbs held in such a solution for 10-12 hours. Soaking increases the size of the flowers, the number of buds reaches several dozen.
At what time to conduct the germination of gladioli in the spring
The capacity for germination should be chosen with low sides and a wide bottom. This may be a cardboard box or a plastic cup with holes. Corms lay out exactly, in a single layer, necks up. The container is placed in a warm place, without intense light and drafts.
When there is no way to get gladioli from the fridge to germinate, you can plant it directly into the soil, but you need to be prepared for the flowering period to move, the size of the buds will be more modest.
Flower growers also use this method of preparing gladioli for spring planting, such as wet germination. He is more troublesome, but very productive. Bulbs placed in a container with sawdust moistened with water, sprinkle them. Place the container in a lighted warm place. Regularly moisten the sawdust. If the observed growth is too fast, reduce moisture and put it in the shade.
Read also: Care for nematantus at home: planting, watering and lighting
Not only whole bulbs with sprouts can be recommended for planting. Large gladiolus can be cut into pieces, according to the number of buds. Sometimes growers intentionally stimulate the appearance of lateral buds. Apply such tricks as laying the bulbs when germinating Donets up or to the side. Sometimes they additionally carry out treatment with a tuberization stimulator.
Cut the bulbs a week before planting in the ground. Disinfect the cut sites, sprinkle with crushed coal. Dry the parts, additionally process the fungicide before planting.
Timing in which the germination of gladioli occurs in the spring is one to two weeks.
Planting gladioli in the ground
A well sprouted can be considered a corm with a sprout of 6-8 cm, swollen root tubercles or roots.
Gladioli are planted in holes from light, loose soil. The distance between the bulbs is not less than 15 cm. When planting, you should add sand, and after the emergence of seedlings sprinkle the earth with humus. The amount of penetration should be approximately equal to the four diameters of the bulb.
Sprouted flowers planted in the ground can endure even short frosts without loss.
The flowering of the cut bulbs begins later than usual.
At the end of the flowering period, gladioli should be dug out and removed tops. Peeled bulbs should be treated with fungicides, especially if plants have a disease. The choice of the drug depends on the pest that struck gladioli. This may be Fundozol. Dry them thoroughly before storing them. Storage is carried out in dry cool conditions. Ideal for these purposes refrigerator, basement. In the refrigerator, the bulbs are stored in a bag with holes.
Be sure to sign varieties or colors of gladioli. You can put inscriptions directly on the corms, or tie a string with inscriptions.
The period of rest for gladioli is about 6 months. During this period, gladiolus should be regularly inspected every two weeks. Take a note when you need to get gladioli from a fridge for germination.
Read also: Soil components for orchids and features of their choice
Useful tips for novice growers:
- During flowering, do not forget to remove wilted buds. This will extend the flowering time to the rest;
- Do not plant gladioli in one place for more than two years. This will protect plants from pest damage;
- It is not recommended to plant young onions( children) together with adults that have previously flowered. They can pull off water and nutrients;
- Carefully consider the choice of gladioli varieties. Currently, there are about two hundred varieties of this flower, differing in color and shape of flowers. From them it is necessary to choose the one that suits your desire and region of residence.
Gladiolus - a flower not difficult in leaving. Take care of compliance with the rules of storage and preparation of gladioli for planting, and the plant will certainly thank you for its beautiful flowering.
Video about the preparation of gladioli bulbs for planting