Mackerel is considered to be fish for health and beauty. How to pickle mackerel so that it remains as healthy and tasty as possible. Sea fish is good as an appetizer and as a main dish, and with all kinds of side dishes, and in a salad.
Read also the article: how to salt the fat yourself at home.
Mackerel is an affordable delicacy on your table.
Mackerel is a marine inhabitant with low calorie content, excellent taste and reasonable price. Its meat is nourishing and healthy, it contains vitamins and minerals, fatty acids and antioxidants, easily digestible protein and healthy salts. Mackerel fat will help preserve youth and prolong life. Mackerel in the diet promotes vitality and well-being.
Health benefits of mackerel fish:
- normalizes cholesterol;
- increases hemoglobin in the blood;
- provides the body with the necessary vitamins, micro and macro elements;
- promotes weight loss;
- improves metabolism;
- reduces the risk of blood clots;
- strengthens bone tissue;
- normalizes human hormones;
- has a positive effect on skin quality;
- regulates the water-salt balance in the body;
- restores nerve cells;
- strengthens the immune system;
- improves vision;
- promotes brain activity;
- counteracts aging processes.
Mackerel on the table is a benefit, taste and satiety for the whole family. Salting mackerel at home will not be easy.
How to choose the mackerel for salting
Before salting the mackerel at home, you must purchase it. Buying mackerel should be entirely, as the freshness of the product is easily determined by the appearance of fish eyes and gills. It is difficult to choose a fish without a head, as the main signs of freshness and quality are absent.
Mackerel fish - signs of quality:
- bright bulging eyes;
- whole red gills;
- even color without yellowing and darkening;
- pleasant smell, characteristic of sea fish;
- skin without deformation and damage.
When buying frozen mackerel, you should pay attention to the icing. The ice should be transparent and uniform, without yellowness, dark spots, cracks and flows. After defrosting, high-quality fish remains elastic, the bones during dressing must remain in place and not lag behind the meat.
Frozen mackerel is stored in a freezer.
Fresh-frozen mackerel - the best recipes for salting
Sea fish in stores and on the market most often comes in fresh-frozen form. Best preserved fish and seafood after a shock freeze. Thawing mackerel should be slow - in cold water or in the refrigerator, then it remains useful substances, taste and smell of sea fish. It is not recommended to thaw mackerel at elevated temperature or in warm water. Together with such a defrost, the cooking process begins - the protein in the fish coagulates, and the quality of the product decreases markedly.
Fish and seafood during defrosting must remain in a plastic bag or under food wrap, since the surface of the meat is a favorable breeding ground for bacteria and microorganisms.
How to pickle fresh-frozen mackerel at home:
- Defrost the fish properly.
- Remove fins, head and tail.
- Cut the abdomen.
- Clean the insides.
- Wash the carcass in cold water.
- Remove water remaining on the fish surface with a paper towel.
- Salting mackerel can be sliced or whole.
Permissible width of pieces - from 2 to 3 cm, this size allows the meat to quickly and well salted. For salting the whole, you should choose a medium-sized fish, it will quickly salted, it is convenient to work with it in the kitchen.
Mackerel in home brine
How to pickle mackerel? The pickle can be spicy, for this in the process of cooking spices are added, sugar and spices - pepper, greens, cloves, bay leaf and others according to personal taste and desire. Spicy salting is a delicious and original recipe for salting mackerel. This dish will decorate the festive table and diversify the daily menu. You can pickle mackerel according to the classic recipe - in salted brine.
How to pickle mackerel in brine:
- Brine. To prepare the brine, it is necessary to dissolve the salt in cold water, add sugar and spices, then boil the liquid for 2-3 minutes. The finished brine is cooled and filtered.
- Pickling fish. Fish carcasses or pieces close to each other are placed in a glass container. Prepared fish is poured with chilled pickle.
- Cooking time. Pieces of mackerel are well salted for a day, then they should be put in a dry container - a plastic container or a glass jar. For whole fish, the cooking time should be increased to 3-4 days, depending on their quantity and the desired strength of salting.
- Storage. The finished salted product is stored in the refrigerator, eating is permissible for a week. For longer shelf life mackerel can deteriorate.
Homemade salting of fish should be carried out in portions, since the shelf life of salted fish in the refrigerator is quite limited - no more than 5-7 days.
Salted mackerel - tasty, simple and fast
Sea fish is an indispensable product in the diet of people of any age, replenishing vital and unique substances in the body. Mackerel is a source of protein, amino acids and vitamins. Sea fish and seafood are especially useful for children, adolescents and the elderly.
Mackerel belongs to the category of low-calorie diet products, so it is recommended to use it for people who are watching for weight.
Salting mackerel quickly and tasty can be done in a dry way. In the process of cooking fish releases its own juice, which is salted. For 1 kg of mackerel, cut into pieces, you will need 2 large bay leaves, 10 black peppercorns, a teaspoon of sugar and 4 tablespoons of salt. Additionally, you can add a little universal seasoning with carrots and herbs, as well as a couple of tablespoons of mustard powder.
Fish pieces should be rubbed with a dry composition, folded in glass or plastic containers and refrigerated. After a day you get medium-salted mackerel, and in two days the fish will become more salty and spicy.
Mackerel - the best recipes for salting
Salted foods are recommended to be consumed at the very beginning of the meal, as they stimulate appetite and improve gastric secretion. Mackerel is a popular product for a variety of interesting snacks. In feasts, it is good in itself, its original flavor perfectly complements the salads.
Mackerel Salting Recipes at Home:
- With liquid smoke. This recipe produces mackerel with a pleasant smoked flavor. For three medium-sized fish, a pickle is needed, prepared from one liter of water with 4 tablespoons of salt, strong brewing, liquid smoke and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Liquid smoke is added to the cooled brine. The fish is placed in a container of glass, pour the finished brine and cover with a lid. Mackerel for this recipe is prepared for 2-3 days.
- Onion Peel. This recipe will allow you to get mackerel with a slight onion flavor. Onion pickle is prepared from one liter of water, 1 tablespoon of salt, half a tablespoon of sugar, 2 teaspoons of black leaf tea and a large amount of onion peel - 3 or 4 full handfuls. Water with spices, sugar, salt, tea and onion peel is boiled with an average boil for 5-7 minutes. The cooled liquid is filtered through a fine sieve and the fish is poured. Within 12 hours the mackerel should be at room temperature, then it is removed in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Under the yoke. For this recipe you will need the following products - 2 mackerel, 2 tablespoons of salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, a teaspoon of allspice and ground black pepper. For salting under the yoke you will need a clean fish fillet, which should be cut from the bones and freed from the skin. The finished fillet is poured dry mix for salting. The fish is placed in the refrigerator under pressure for 7-8 hours, after which it is completely ready for use.
You can salt the mackerel whole - without gutting, with the head and tail. The composition for salting two big fish includes: 4 tablespoons of salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar, a teaspoon of dried dill and ground pepper, some vegetable oil. All the ingredients along with the fish must be placed in a plastic bag, which is well shaken and put in the refrigerator for several days. Finished fish should be washed in water, let dry on paper and lightly rub with oil.
Salted mackerel per hour
How to pickle mackerel quickly? Useful and tasty salted mackerel can be cooked in 1 hour!
Rapid Salting - Stages:
- Mackerel wash, gut and cut into large pieces.
- For two carcasses, you need about a pound of salt, on which the prepared pieces are laid.
- After an hour the fish is ready, it must be freed from excess salt and put in a clean storage container.
Beautiful and tasty serving of salted mackerel on the table - in onion rings, with the addition of vegetable oil and lemon juice.
Mackerel meat is very fat, so it does not absorb excess salt. Storage of finished fish is acceptable, as in the marinade, and without it.
Mackerel is an aromatic and refined fish that is good on the table on weekdays and holidays. If the hostess knows how to pickle mackerel at home is tasty, it can surprise guests and please loved ones with this unusual dish.