and together, the landlord requires a specialized lawn irrigation system.
One cannot do without it for several reasons:
- The site area is too large to moisten the soil by hand. It is too laborious, and it is impossible to guarantee that such watering will be uniform.
- Using a garden hose will accelerate watering, but a powerful jet of water will inevitably damage the grass root system, blur the soil and disrupt the integrity of the cover. And once again walk on the emerald carpet is not worth it.
Therefore, a variety of lawn watering equipment and systems based on it are highly demanded by owners of summer cottages and household plots.
Types of lawn irrigation systems
The existing lawn irrigation systems are divided into those that operate in manual and semi-automatic modes, but fully automated designs are the most perfect.
The main advantage of a manual lawn watering system is the low cost of all components. And the disadvantage is the indispensable participation of a person who:
- decides on the need to feed moisture from the shutdown;
- monitors the degree of soil moisture;
- connects and transports hoses and all kinds of watering cans for lawn.
In fact, such a system can represent the simplest contour of pipes with derived hydrants. They connect the hoses and other equipment for watering the lawn, which helps cut the water jet and to ensure maximum capture area.
Arrangement of the irrigation system is carried out in such a way that in winter the pipeline does not suffer from frost. Therefore, the depth of the pipe in different regions may vary.
Systems operating in semi-automatic mode need only be turned on and off in time. Programmable lawn sprinklers are responsible for the quality of sprinkling and coverage of the territory.
Automatic watering the lawn removes from the site owner almost all the worries about this stage of lawn care. It is the most expensive and troublesome in arrangement, but at the same time it allows to save a maximum of time and water and is very durable.
Automatic Lawn Watering
Automatic watering systems include several types of equipment:
- underground pipe;
- pump or pumping station of proper capacity;
- sensors that measure soil moisture and determine the need for the inclusion of watering;
- storage capacity for backup storage and heating of moisture;
- solenoid valves;
- automation complex;
- lawn sprinklers.
Read also: How to level the lawn that grows with the bumps
The underground part of the equipment for watering the lawn, pumping systems and automation are calculated based on the performance of the source of moisture, as well as the need for it. Sprinklers are selected depending on the configuration of the site, crops planted on it and the location of other objects.
Lawn sprinklers can have a different design, on which the area and method of irrigation depend. Such devices can be of two types:
- rotary structures with the possibility of circular rotation of the head watered the soil within a radius of 11–20 m;
- fan polivalki for a lawn can not rotate, and coverage of the area up to 5 m is carried out thanks to different forms of nozzles.
Read also: The creative design of the flowerbed is easier than simple
Designing irrigation systems for lawns
The basis for starting the design of a lawn irrigation system is:
- site plan showing all buildings, fences, paths, large and small garden crops that require attention;
- plan with marked location of irrigation moisture source;
- well performance and water quality data.
The last item is crucial if you use an autonomous water supply. For example, moisture from natural water bodies, drainage systems, and storm sewers may contain an increased number of microorganisms that adversely affect the soil and plants. Therefore, it is not recommended to use such water for irrigation without pre-treatment and disinfection.
The design of the irrigation system and the installation of lawn irrigation equipment are carried out in such a way that the plants do not experience a lack of moisture, but they are also not in an overly wetted substrate.
The rate of irrigation is determined taking into account:
- the type of soil on the site;
- precipitation frequency in the warm season;
- needs of existing crops.
It is important to remember that watering is intended for green spaces, and not for paths, houses or garden benches. This aspect is taken into account when determining the location of lawn sprinklers, their power and design.
Read also: Descriptions and photos of popular balsam varieties and its typesgrass
When lawn grass sows gaps between shrubs, garden trees or on a lawn, flower beds are broken, these circumstances must be taken into account when designing and installing an irrigation system.
In such a situation, it is better to start the piping, installation of automation and other components of the irrigation system when planted large crops on the site fully prepared for planting.
How is a lawn watering system installed? Follow the instructions:
- According to the plan, the marking of the places where the pipes will be laid, hydrants, switchgears and sprinklers are installed.
- Then the trenches are laid in such a way that the pipes are below the depth of soil freezing in the region, and the slope necessary to maintain the pressure is provided.
- The pipeline and all the necessary equipment for irrigation automation is being laid.
- After the system has been tested, the trenches are instilled in and the installation of lawn sprinklers is carried out.
If grass is damaged during the installation of the irrigation system, the damaged areas are cut out and turf of the same shape is laid out in their place. For these purposes, you can use a turf. After repair, the coating must be watered.
Video installation and installation of an automatic irrigation system