Persimmon is a favorite fruit of many. But few have tried to make a persimmon jam. This delicacy can be called unusual and even exotic. Given the seasonality of this fruit, cooking jam or jam allows you to make a stock for the whole year. There are many recipes, each of them has its own characteristics and advantages. Consider the classic way of making jam - it is he who preserves the maximum taste and aroma of an exotic fruit.
It is important to know that persimmon jam, the recipe of which will be presented below, is not only tasty, but also a useful delicacy. It contains fructose, glucose, beta-carotene, potassium and magnesium. By adding this dessert to the menu, you can strengthen the immune system and protect yourself from bad mood and stress.
Persimmon Jam is an ideal confection for hard cheese or freshly baked bread. This combination correctly reveals the taste of the overseas fruit.
Rules for the selection of fruit for persimmon jam
Considering the classic recipe for jam from persimmon, it is worthwhile to select ripe fruits that are not too viscous. Ripe fruits have these qualities, so jam preparation can be postponed until the end of the ripening season. It is preferable to use the variety "King".
The main selection criteria for persimmon for jam:
- fruit has no defects - cracks, rotten stains;
- skin is smooth, dense, translucent;
- the surface of the fruit is slightly soft to the touch, but at the same time quite elastic;
- stem completely dry, has a brown color.
Do not buy persimmon, if the stem is dry, but green - this indicates that the fruit is torn off immature. Consequently, its taste is low.
The classic recipe for persimmon jam
The classic persimmon jam, a recipe with a photo to be presented below, is made without sugar( if desired, sugar is added at the rate of 0.8 - 1 kg per 1 kg of fruit).The finished dessert is a bit tart, creamy and very fragrant. Since persimmon contains a lot of glucose and fructose, additional sweeteners are not required. Adding spices and lemon emphasizes the flavor of the jam.
- persimmon - 1 kg;
- purified water - 70 ml;
- anise or star anise - 2 pcs.;
- pink pepper - 1 pc.;
- cinnamon - 1 stick;
- vanilla - 0.5 pod;
- medium lemon - 1 pc.
It is important to use natural spices, not powder. Indeed, in the form of a hammer, they have a limited shelf life. In addition, many unscrupulous manufacturers add different fillers in order to reduce the cost of the product, and this negatively affects the taste of persimmon jam according to the classic recipe.
The main stages of making persimmon jam:
- Preparation of ingredients. The persimmon needs to be well washed, dried on a cloth. When cleaning, not only the peduncle is removed, but also the skin. The pulp can be grated, mashed with a potatoe grinder or minced.
- Squeeze juice out of lemon. Zestr should not be thrown or crushed - it is added during the whole cooking process.
- Mix water and lemon juice in a saucepan with a thick bottom. Heat until boiling over medium heat, add spices and zest. Stew for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add chopped persimmon to the syrup, boil for about 20 minutes after boiling. During the whole cooking time, you need to stir the jam to prevent it from sticking to the walls of the pan.
- At the end of preparation, remove the zest. Ready jam prepacked in sterilized glass jars and roll up.
Lemon can be replaced with an orange - then the taste of the dessert will become brighter, more savory.
Store jam preferably in the refrigerator or basement.